The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gang,

We just did a 60 - 0 mph brake test on our black 111R for the hell of it.

Guess what? The little black Elise did it in 78.74 Feet !!!!

Unreal!!!! My partner John who has been working on Elise's since the first S1's arrived in Australia back in 1997. He said the Toyota powered Elise has the best brakes he has ever experienced on any Elise.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Unbelievable -

Mitch -are you sure it wasn't uphill?:D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I know that when I get on my Exiges brakes that the stopping power is truely amazing. I have the Motorsport set-up which is 4-piston AP racing calipers up front and 2-piston AP racing calipers in back - basically taking the normal front caliper and moving it to the rear - 295mm slotted/drilled rotors and a bias valve.

I can brake at 100-150ft going into a 90 degree corner while the Vettes/Vipers are braking at 400ft. I make up alot of ground under braking.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Z06 does 108-109 feet. If that's accurate (of course I have no reason to doubt it) that figure is phenomenal.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ivan1 said:
Unbelievable -

Mitch -are you sure it wasn't uphill?:D
Ivan,

When My guys did the first test I flat our did NOT believe them. I made them go out and do it 3 more times just to make sure they were't drinking beer and dreaming it. I even made sure they used a tape measure to record the distances.

I still can't beleive it. That is just amazing!!!!

Mitch

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
meat said:
I know that when I get on my Exiges brakes that the stopping power is truely amazing. I have the Motorsport set-up which is 4-piston AP racing calipers up front and 2-piston AP racing calipers in back - basically taking the normal front caliper and moving it to the rear - 295mm slotted/drilled rotors and a bias valve.

I can brake at 100-150ft going into a 90 degree corner while the Vettes/Vipers are braking at 400ft. I make up alot of ground under braking.
Meat,

That S1 Exige you have will probably outbreak anything on the US market today. Your car is a race car for the street. There isn't much that will ever keep up with you on a race track.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
From Road and Track last year regarding the highly touted brakes of the Mitsu Evo:

The braking prowess of the Evo is beyond exceptional. It set a new record from 60 mph, stopping in 108 ft. . (Our former champ was the Ferrari 360 Modena at 110 ft.)

Time to rewrite the record book!

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Mitch,

Thanks for sharing! Astounding number! Proves what lightweight + good brake balance + great weight distribution + suspension will do!

By any chance did you measure the time from 60-0 or the g's?

Just curious...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
khamai said:
Mitch,

Thanks for sharing! Astounding number! Proves what lightweight + good brake balance + great weight distribution + suspension will do!

By any chance did you measure the time from 60-0 or the g's?

Just curious...
Sorry we only measured the distance for the hell of it. We had no idea that little black car was going to pull those numbers on braking. I will try to have some more figures for you next week.

Mitch

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
so now I have to worry about my car being rearended by some idiot who doesn't realize he can't brake nearly as well as me:(

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
With the sport pack your going lighter wheels, 175/55 to a 195/50 tire along with there being softer, either way it's going to be fun trying to get use to that level of performance.

From what I recall with the light weight the Elise isn't prone to fading either.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I can't wait till you test the yellow car, to see if it has better braking times to go along with being faster:D

Just in case: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LarryB said:
With the sport pack your going lighter wheels, 175/55 to a 195/50 tire along with there being softer, either way it's going to be fun trying to get use to that level of performance.

From what I recall with the light weight they aren't prone to fading either.
Larry,

Like I said I can only imagine what this car will do with our sports pack, since that package comes with ultra soft Yoko tires.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

1 - 20 of 149 Posts