The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this company though a link on LT.

DDM HID Kit Slim Ballast (35W or 55W): HID Kits, DEPO Lights, BMW Bumpers & Lighting - DDM Tuning

Bought the 6000K, 55 watt kit and found out that it does not need any wire splices. Just needs another hole in the clam. :rolleyes:

The pictures below show it all. Install took me 30 minutes per side. The kit plugs into the original low beam bulb connections. Add a 3/4" hole next to the stock hole and use the supplied rubber grommet. All that is left is to Velcro stick (purchased separately) the ballast to the inner side of the headlight. I'm very happy with this kit, much brighter than stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more pic.

Attachments

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Good job. Glad it worked out.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
There are other threads on HID's and I believe you do not have to drill holes, it will all fit in the original hole.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I recently purchased the DDM kit with 6000k at 55w for around $70.00 and it was plug and play, Actually I was replacing a several hundred dollar HID kit from Sector that failed and it was easier than asking for a replacement from Sector and came with a lifetime warranty - I hope i feel the same when the unit fails but so far very happy with this purchase. You do not need to drill any holes for this kit!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a set of H7 5000k with a spare set of bulbs that I will sell for 70 plus shipping they are this kit but the regular ballasts not the thin ballasts as shown....but two sets of bulbs and one set of ballasts. for $70 plus shipping

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Are the bulbs marked on the bulb itself what xxxxk they are?

·
Registered
369 Posts
The one set is marked the other set of bulbs is not but I assure you the unmakred set is 5000k.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I believe all the 07+ lotus elise/exige use H7 in their low beams

·
Registered
2005 StormTi 200000+ miles
163 Posts
I just installed a set of these today. I removed the grommet that comes on the kit, and shoved all the wires through the lotus grommet. Gave me a chance to aim my hi & low beams too. Previous owner had them all out of whack.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Is there any chance of these melting the headlight covers or the black surrounds? I currently have my clam off and I definitely considering this.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
H.I.D.s produce far less heat than regular halogen bulbs so the answer is no.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Finally got mine installed.

Slight hum when they're cold, that goes away as they warm is the only wierdness. They're bright as all get-out, and i took the opportunity to A: inspect the bodywork i'd just had done, and B: install the Lotus embellisher rings at the same time.

Definately definately cut off the HID harness grommet and route through the Lotus one. Only tough part was bending up the retaining clip for the bulb to clear the new wider bulb base.

Best piece of advice I can give anyone? Just go ahead and remove the lights from the car entirely, it's MUCH easier to remove 'em, bend the keeper and reinstall them than it is to struggle in that tiny little space behind the light!

Took me maybe 4 hours taking my time for both, but the 2nd light was only an hour of it. I spent a LOT of time fighting the first one I did.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks for posting this thread with the link. I've been looking for better lighting. They had the h1 55w 6000k on sale for $50 before s/h. :clap:

1 - 20 of 241 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.