The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
FInished my install as well.... bought the 55w 6000k kit for 49.99 +shipping- they came this past thursday- took about 2.5 hours. Most of that was the first one as well- just figuring out where the bolts were and what came off to remove the light. It was very simple. FYI if you don't know - there are 3 hex screws that retain the lens cover- the three nuts on the threaded posts retain the inner lighting structure along with one more 10mm bolt that must be removed after the lens cover is removed. Light a previous poster said- remove the whole thing- it makes it way easier- some tiny needle nose pliers made quick work of bending the bulb retainer clips and all the wires fit through the factory grommet. Now the only part i haven't really figured out is the parking light- which stays on with my headlights- so i have the white light of the new Hids but a faint yellow coming from the parking light in the high beam. The contrast is kind of interesting so i may just leave it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Also, you will probably say: hey these are so bright, lets aim them up to get the full effect. Don't do it, becuase then your high beams have no effect and its illegal.

The most helpful advice on how to aim (found in many other HID threads): Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

·
Registered
89 Posts
Handy- wish i'd seen that before- but i ended up figuring it all out... i didn't drill and you don't have to remove the wheel, just turn it one way then the other to remove the screws to dislodge the fender panel from the tire well. You don't need any more space than is available with the wheel in place.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Just ordered a set of these, hope the install goes as smoothly as everyone elses...which I doubt somehow rotfl

·
Registered
270 Posts
I completed my install in 2hrs and 15mins. The worst part was getting the wires through the existing grommet and bending the wire clip that holds the bulb in place. I broke the end off one of the metal clips :mad: but it seems to be staying snuggly in place even though only one side is in the clips proper home. Also one of the wires came out of their housing :( but I was able to get it to stay although I know it will come out if I give it a light tug, so I wrapped a little electrical tape around it just in case. Aside from that they work and I look forward to driving at night tonight to see the difference 55w 6000k HIDs will give compared to my old H1s.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice!... this evening was my first night out- WOW what a difference! Wish i had done it a lot sooner- crisp and clean light. I know what you mean, getting the wires through the grommet was a PITA, but it was a lot easier sticking a screwdriver through the grommet to give some leverage to stretch the rubber over the pieces i was trying to stick through

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree that visibility is better with the 6000k HIDs. I kind of wish I went with 5000k or 4500k as the 6000k are a little blue but I shouldn't complain as I still like them. ;) Plus one of the best parts is they only cost me $60 which is so much cheaper than all of the other HID kits I've seen. :clap: Plus it still has a life time warranty.
I did do the screwdriver trick which made it possible but still difficult.

I am curious about one thing though as I'm new to HIDs. Do the bulbs ever burn out? If they do it's going to be a PITA to switch as I'll need to switch the whole kit out. :confused:

Nice!... this evening was my first night out- WOW what a difference! Wish i had done it a lot sooner- crisp and clean light. I know what you mean, getting the wires through the grommet was a PITA, but it was a lot easier sticking a screwdriver through the grommet to give some leverage to stretch the rubber over the pieces i was trying to stick through

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
HID bulbs do burn out, especially if you do not use them properly. Turning them on and off frequently (within minutes) will significantly decrease their life. Also, if you didn't install the bulbs with gloves and finger oil came in contact, this will also shorten their lifespan.

However, you dont need to replace the whole kit. The ballast and wiring should not need replacement, only the bulbs need to be changed when they go out.

Still, a PITA compared to most cars. This is the first car I've known that needed to be jacked up, wheel removed, and its lens cover taken off just to replace a bulb rotfl

·
Registered
89 Posts
You don't need to take the wheel off
:) - just turn the wheel from one side then the other, there are three small screws holding the wheel well access panel on.

I read somewhere that the 55w 6000k was whiter than the 35w 6000k- which is why i did the 6000... I think mine are pretty white- are yours more blue than mine are-- its hard to tell from the pics :(

·
Registered
270 Posts
I found it much easier to work with the wheel off since wires need to be messed with inside the wheel well and it only takes 5 minutes to take it off so why not.

You don't need to take the wheel off
:) - just turn the wheel from one side then the other, there are three small screws holding the wheel well access panel on.

I read somewhere that the 55w 6000k was whiter than the 35w 6000k- which is why i did the 6000... I think mine are pretty white- are yours more blue than mine are-- its hard to tell from the pics :(

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Has anyone installed both the driving light kit and also high beam HIDs and if so, are the high beam HIDs brighter than the driving lights?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I pulled the grommet out of the hole- and it reached almost outside of the well, then i stuck all the wires through the grommet in my hand, then put the wires through the factory hole them popped the grommet back in place- so there wasn't any awkwardness with the wheel in place- but yeah- if you want, you could take it off-- but its not required :)

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Do you guys have any issues when you fire them on like one not turning on some times? this happens in my BMW sometimes when one doesnt turn on. It might be my harness going from the ballast to the car ill have to do some research

·
Registered
270 Posts
One of the plugs are probably loose and not getting a complete connection.

Do you guys have any issues when you fire them on like one not turning on some times? this happens in my BMW sometimes when one doesnt turn on. It might be my harness going from the ballast to the car ill have to do some research

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I just installed these this past Friday and the install was very straight forward. Lifetime warranty so no worries there.

You DO NOT need to drill a new hole like people are saying, just cut the grommet that came with the HID kit and run the wires separately through the stock grommet using a screwdriver to stretch the opening.

I also put LEDs in the little wedge bulb in the highbeam housing so it would match the HIDs. So far so good.

ONLY PROBLEM is that when the HIDs are on with the radio, the radio gets very stat-icky. Anyone else run into this problem?

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Has anyone installed both the driving light kit and also high beam HIDs and if so, are the high beam HIDs brighter than the driving lights?
Before or after they warm up? Seriously, the problem with HID high beams is that they take a while to warm up and get bright. Also turning them on and off greatly shortens their life. My high beams tend to be turned on and off a lot depending on the oncoming traffic. HIDs simply wouldn't work.

Instead, I have Osram Silverstar +50 (not Sylvania Silverstars, or any other blue tinted "super white" bulb) bulbs in the high beams (maximum legal brightness bulbs - much brighter than stock but still legal and last a long time) and the Driving Lights. When I hit the high beams, it turns into daylight in front of my car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
@lotuselise7 thanks for the link i ordered the same ones, as far as the hum on the radio... i didn't have any issues with any interference but my radio is HD- maybe that makes a difference?

21 - 40 of 241 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.