The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a video of 60-120. Nothing "official", but using camera and video editing software. Should be good enough for generalization.

60-100 MPH in 5.6 seconds
60-120 MPH in 11.3 seconds. That last 10 MPH just kills me.

No dyno's yet. It does feel quick, but I don't know, the times seem kinda slow. Well not slow, but average for performance cars. I'm sure aero isn't helping any above 100MPH. 60-80 comes and goes fast.

Boost is at 10 PSI and air/fuel ratio holds at 11:1 through out the revs.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have a na exige, and it struggles to cross 100 mark. I see the same hesitation in your car. Man these cars are slow, lol.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Btw if you want to use a timer for videos like this, here is a 60 second timer video I made. I couldn't find anything easy on the web so just made one. I use Sony Vegas and do an overlay.

http://www.carbide-red.com/video/timecode.mp4

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
aero is a cruel Mistress.

I think you will find the next 10mph is even more painful.

We drive a brick, a cute brick, but a brick.

HP to over come aero goes up by the cube of the speed

·
Registered
605 Posts
This is my offering

This is off my Performance Box so a lot more accurate than our speedos.
I pulled out at 115mph through the traps so didn't make 120 mph
This was before cams and smaller pulley so we shall see how she goes next time.

Attachments

·
purveyor of lightness
4,150 Posts
Here's my Rev400

I just saw this thread and looked up a fairly recent DL1 datalog from last Spring.

Notes on run:
57 degrees (5am)
30.01 pressure
64% humidity
2023 lbs. = 1789 base + 40 gas (1/2 tank) + softtop (11) + sub (8) + me (175)

60-135 mph in 3rd, 4th and 5th...

Graphing time vs mph speed and longitudinal g's...

60-80: 1.63 sec
60-100: 4.07 sec (after 3-4 shift)
60-120: 6.55 sec
60-130: 9.35 sec (after 4-5 shift)

I have a BOE Rev400, 9.0:1 block, 70mm pulley, EFI 1.2, ForcedFed header, decat, Silent Touch, and larger 245/45-17 rear tires so I can avoid the dreaded 4-5 shift at the dragstrip right at the end - which is what happened in 2009. It also makes my speedometer almost dead-nuts-on (+/- 1mph @ 100 indicated).

Baseline dyno from last month yielded 352 whp / 229 wtor (about 400 hp / 260 lb/ft flywheel). It's a blast!

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yea I'm guessing I am similar to Dave. A little more power, but more weight... Making it roughly the same.

My 60-100 is in the high 3s I think (one 3-4 shift needed), and my 60-120 is probably right under 7 (a 3-4 and a 4-5 shift needed). Truthfully though I have never timed either just estimating based on different times I know.

Westrock:
Yea we all experience slowing as speed comes up. I know in my car it seems to take "forever" once you get into 5th gear. I know on track after 100 sometimes I will glance down and think "Comon I know you got more than that!" Its just the combination of speed, and lack of power. At high speeds acceleration is all about raw power and aerodynamics. At lower speeds it is primarily a function of horsepower to weight. That's why the Elise/Exige are brutally fast 0-60 for example, but if you look at the same one after 120 its nothing special.

With that said based on the video your car definitely doesn't look slow. The 60-80 in particular looks very quick. I think a few things would help:
Smaller pulley (kind of obvious), but 10psi isn't enough to really put down big numbers on a 2zz.
More RPM... looks like you are shifting at 8k. RPM would help in 2 ways. 1 you would naturally pick up power under the curve since PD blowers tend to keep a pretty flat torque curve. Also it will space the gears out a bit further which can eliminate a shift saving time. (Note Time-to-speed pretty sure I am faster than Dave 60-100, but slower 60-120. A lot of it just depends on the speeds that are chosen based on the gearing differences in our cars).
The tune. I would be curious to see a datalog to see exactly what your ECU thinks about things particularly ignition timing and IAT. If it gets any long or short term knock retard (I think long KR is "octane scaling" in Lotus T4 speak) that will certainly take a lot of power away from it.

Final note: As mentioned previously the stock ECU/dash programming, is optimistic at high speeds. I'm not sure if the VF tuning gets rid of the speedo inaccuracy, but the way you are measuring acceleration based on the dash *may* be leaving some room for error just based on your equipment.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hi Dave just looked at your revs, getting close to 9k. I built my motor to do the same but worry about the oil pump gear. I have a late 2010 Circuitworx set, I am not sure when the quality went to sh!t. What are you using?
I have just put in MWR stage 3 cams as I wiped another std inlet and the 70 mm pulley. Getting it tuned on Friday. What boost are you seeing?
My car is a porker at 2090lb dry, but as my every day drive I love it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Where would lotus be today if the elige came with a k24+k20head, and the evora came with the supra 2jz motor. A lot better of methinks.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Would the JZA80 fit? As far as the honda power that would be awsome stock. Senna enjoyed that combo

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
purveyor of lightness
4,150 Posts
Yea I'm guessing I am similar to Dave. A little more power, but more weight... Making it roughly the same.

My 60-100 is in the high 3s I think (one 3-4 shift needed), and my 60-120 is probably right under 7 (a 3-4 and a 4-5 shift needed). Truthfully though I have never timed either just estimating based on different times I know.
Murray: Yup we're pretty even. Here's my best 3rd gear pull from 60mph... 3.46 seconds to 100 mph. It's a rush - not too many cars can hang with me when I'm in 3rd...

Richard: I run the original Circuitworx gears, EFI spark cutoff (effective redline) is 9170rpm. I can barely touch 100mph in 3rd... it's just for numbers though... Boost? probably 14psi or so - Phil would be the expert here. Stock cams.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Of Phil what do you reckon?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Now Komiko needs to do this!!
but i never go over 60.........these guys are outta my league...i only have a stock block - factory cat....i'd be lucky to get it up to 60...

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I managed to overtake a 335i starting from 80 and going to about 125. I guess thats ok. They should be more aerodynamic then I. The problem with them is you never have any idea if its modded or not. Its so easy to mod them and yet they almost always look stock.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I managed to overtake a 335i starting from 80 and going to about 125. I guess thats ok. They should be more aerodynamic then I. The problem with them is you never have any idea if its modded or not. Its so easy to mod them and yet they almost always look stock.
Really anything can happen on the streets. You know nothing about the car, any modifications, the driver, etc. So I wouldn't put much faith in my car (good or bad) based on ad hoc run-in with a BMW.

If you want an absolute the closest thing you will find is a dynojet dyno, or a quarter mile drag strip. The MPH reading at the end of a quarter mile is a great barometer for acceleration capability due to hp.

BTW what aero do you have on your car?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I just saw this thread and looked up a fairly recent DL1 datalog from last Spring.

Notes on run:
57 degrees (5am)
30.01 pressure
64% humidity
2023 lbs. = 1789 base + 40 gas (1/2 tank) + softtop (11) + sub (8) + me (175)

60-135 mph in 3rd, 4th and 5th...

Graphing time vs mph speed and longitudinal g's...

60-80: 1.63 sec
60-100: 4.07 sec (after 3-4 shift)
60-120: 6.55 sec
60-130: 9.35 sec (after 4-5 shift)

I have a BOE Rev400, 9.0:1 block, 70mm pulley, EFI 1.2, ForcedFed header, decat, Silent Touch, and larger 245/45-17 rear tires so I can avoid the dreaded 4-5 shift at the dragstrip right at the end - which is what happened in 2009. It also makes my speedometer almost dead-nuts-on (+/- 1mph @ 100 indicated).

Baseline dyno from last month yielded 352 whp / 229 wtor (about 400 hp / 260 lb/ft flywheel). It's a blast!

Enjoy!
What's your 0-60 time?

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
U need to loose weight. I can get to 150 no prob but with a passenger 135 I start counting slow

1 - 20 of 34 Posts