The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. im new, extremely frustrated, and a little sad too. i have a 65 super 7 with a 1600 x-flow that was recently rebuilt. engine runs like a champ but my clutch wont disengage when the pedal is fully depressed. if i let the pedal back about 1/16th of an inch it works just fine. what the hell is going on? its got a new clutch, throwout bearing, plate.....everything. im almost positive theres no air in the hyd. system. does ANYONE have an idea?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hi and Welcome!
It sounds like your clutch adjustment is off. Proper clutch pedal free travel is critical -- and fortunately easy to adjust. It is a mechanical system, though, and will not adjust automatically like modern manual transmission equipped cars.
You need about an inch of free travel at the "top" of the pedal--i.e., when you first depress the clutch pedal there should be essentially no resistance for about the first inch of movement.
The adjustment is at a push rod that runs between the slave cylinder and the TO bearing release fork arm. The rod is threaded, and a jam nut sets the clearance between the rod and the fork. That clearance should be about 0.1 inches.
I can scan in a drawing later today if you need it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts