The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Add the $3300 buyers fee, so just shy of $70k

What was impressive was the ecu dump, it was never driven hard, totally babied....how do you do that?

·
Scott M
294 Posts
Most folks who chimed in on another thread mentioned the generally suspect nature of such ECU dumps on these cars. Resets are possible.

·
Registered
'07 Exige S
356 Posts
correct and the prior owner said he tracked it often. nothing bad about that, its what it was built for, but I suspect the history has more color to it.

·
Scott M
294 Posts
Not on BaT... another thread here.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thats probably the actual sale price for these, around $70k. Most $80k S260's I see for sale are just feeler ads, and they've been on the market forever. This one isn't white or matte black, and doesn't have the 2010+ body panels, so should be comparable to a low-mile S240. Some of us prefer that '08 look, but it's not the right one for collectors.

Anyways, great buy, excited for whoever picked it up!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
lol Congrats!

·
Registered
40 Posts
View attachment 1265548
Congratulations, I have your sister car, you've bought the best of the series - you'll never regret this purchase.
Wow, great, exactly identical.

I'm getting it ready for light track duty now. Fortunately the first owner put Ohlins on. Just doing inspection, fluids, tires, etc., as well as tie rod ends & bolts as seems to be recommended around here. I hope you don't mind a few stupid questions: I'm going to buy harnesses, do you have any recommendations, and does it require any special hardware in the S260? Anything else you'd recommend doing or keeping an eye out for?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
OK , I give up

How did you tell this from the tiny nose of the car showing?
Hahaha, the avatar for @Hindley-Milner also has a yellow Elise, and I figured it was most likely the same car. In the avatar, you can see that the access panels are more steeply angled downward than the Federal Elises, so this is the giveaway that it is pre-ABS.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

I'm getting it ready for light track duty now. Fortunately the first owner put Ohlins on. Just doing inspection, fluids, tires, etc., as well as tie rod ends & bolts as seems to be recommended around here. I hope you don't mind a few stupid questions: I'm going to buy harnesses, do you have any recommendations, and does it require any special hardware in the S260? Anything else you'd recommend doing or keeping an eye out for?
First, congrats on the car!

I'd check if the oil cooler line recall has been performed. You can tell if it's been done if the hoses go over the fitting. Old style was hose going into the fitting, and they were known to pop off.

With sticky enough tires, oil pickup can be an issue, but the Sport S260 came with Accusump that kicks in when oil pressure drops so check for function/leaks. I'd still upgrade the oil pan to a baffled design from BOE or Inokinetic or Moroso for a good measure.

S260 should have the toe link bracing from factory so that's one thing less to worry about. I'd still check for any wear on the bushings. Rear top wishbone bushings are known to degrade sooner, and there are many aftermarket options.

If your radiator hasn't been upgraded and still has the radiator with plastic end caps, it'll crack eventually. You should upgrade to something all-aluminum.
Something like this: https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/prorad?category=Engine
Or this: 27mm Denso F1 Radiator

Fuel starve could become an issue for most of these cars when there's less than 1/3 tank. If your car came with Lotus Sport baffled fuel tank due to it being a Sport S260, it won't be an issue. Fuel gauge is a more of suggestion. I'd go by miles or # of sessions.

Front camber maxes out at around -0.9 degrees from factory. You can get more with an aftermarket steering arm or milling the factory arm.

Factory gear cables' outer covering is prone to cracking and binding at the transmission side. The upgraded cables are really nice.
Shifter cable: SSC SHIFTER CABLE – LOTUS ELISE/EXIGE ALL
Cross Gate cable: SSC GATE CABLE – LOTUS ELISE/EXIGE ALL

Factory intercooler are known to heatsoak and lose efficiency after extended hard driving. Adding a side duct and/or upgrading the intercooler should mitigate it.
Ducts: RLS SUPPLEMENTAL SIDE INTERCOOLING KIT
Intercooler: Large Capacity Intercooler for Exige

I like the convenience of having a street-legal harness(press button to un-buckle) such as this. https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/schroth-4pt-profi-ii-asm-harness?category=Interior/Safety
Lap belt gets mounted to the seat using this hardware kit. https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/s111-harness-hardware?category=Interior/Safety
And, I then added a sub-strap to make it a 6point to prevent the cam lock from riding up. https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/schroth-profi-ii-6-pt-sub-belt?category=Interior/Safety
It was mounted using this hardware kit, which requires some drilling, but it also completely eliminated the issue where the rear seat rail bolt comes loose every now and then. https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/sys-6-pack?category=Interior/Safety

Using an actual 6 point belt system, and drilling/anchoring with the manufacturer recommended hardware would increase safety, but the downside of that would be the release mechanism won't be street legal and require more drilling into the car.

It's very cool that you have the Tesla Mule #2. Mule #1 became available for sale recently.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks @forkmeupscotty, great information and a great help for starting mods.

Advice from Dietsch was to remove the AccuSump entirely (since it tends to leak) and to rely on a baffled oil pan instead. Will make a decision on that after I see what shape the AccuSump is really in. He also mentioned that nearly every S260 he's seen has clutch failure after some time; thankfully you see it coming, starts to drag first then degrades quickly. He recommends Helix (UK) brand. I believe you can also use the same clutch kit for a k20 on an s260?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Thanks @forkmeupscotty, great information and a great help for starting mods.

Advice from Dietsch was to remove the AccuSump entirely (since it tends to leak) and to rely on a baffled oil pan instead. Will make a decision on that after I see what shape the AccuSump is really in. He also mentioned that nearly every S260 he's seen has clutch failure after some time; thankfully you see it coming, starts to drag first then degrades quickly. He recommends Helix (UK) brand. I believe you can also use the same clutch kit for a k20 on an s260?
I did once see an actual datalog of a track-prepped Exige, and that car's oil pressure did slump a bit on an extended right hand sweeper even with a baffled oil pan. But, that was on full slicks and a big wing pulling 1.4G+, so Accusump helped in that case. I do agree they're a bit of a liability unless you keep your eye on it constantly.
I've been perfectly happy with the oil pan Dietsch actually installed in my car many many years ago. Did check the cams for wear and a leak down test after a recent round of major maintenance out of curiosity(pretty much anything rubber in the car was done - bushings, seals, gaskets. Bought the 2008 car new from the dealership in 2010, so far about 40K+ miles, about half of them track miles I reckon...), and the engine is as healthy as it can be I think. (or am I not driving the car fast and hard enough?)

I swapped to ACT clutch few years ago when my factory TRD clutch gave up. I know multiple people had ACT clutch failures some time ago(clutch plate spring retainer tended to break), and I think that was attributed to a bad batch or something. I think I know one or two that went with Helix, and I haven't heard complaints. I have serious doubt that clutch for K20 is compatible with our 2ZZ. Best confirm with the manufacturer.

If you haven't tried, I've found ordering direct from UK/EU fairly painless if you want to take advantage of both weak Pounds and Euro.
Packages more or less all arrive within a week to California in my experience.
Under $800 is exempt from import tariff afaik. Higher goes through customs and could(but not always) take longer. COVID makes things a bit complicated right now, I'd imagine.

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Proper shocks make the Elige suspension shine.
I've never tracked my car, but the first owner did, and I left the 5 point harness in the car because it would have required taking the seats out to remove them - thus the activating energy was much too high for me here.
unfortunately, I'm currently in HI so I can't take any pictures for you, but the CF seats are well suited for this application.
I'm sure there are lots of guys here who can give you tips on this important safety modification.
IMHO, the color combination of Sabelt is a perfect match for our cars.

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 21 Posts