The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to buy this '73 but has a 4 speed trans and would like to convert it to a 5. It has the big valve twin in it. Anyone have an idea what the cost would be to do this?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Europa 5 speed

Cost is probably not as much a problem as finding a 5 speed,they are getting scarce. I have forgotten the Renault model they were used in but a little internet research should sort that out. You also need a new crosspiece for the rear frame ehich is probably hard to come by but I would try Sports Car World in Texas. I haven't looked in my manual but seem to recall there are a few other small pieces secessary. I have the four speed in my Special and have never bothered to replace it with the five as the fifth gear is an overdrive and probably of very limited benefit. My car with the four speed still manages 40 mpg on the highway....Dave

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I don't know the site name but there is a very large Europa club where you could most likely find what you need. Try Yahoo groups and see if they are there.
Good luck.

Just saw you were here in Texas, with that said, look up Lotus owners of South Texas (LOST) and post your question there directed to John Pels and Brent Powell. They will know how to answer your question.

Al B.
Team LOST

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5 speed

Thanks for the comeback, I'll do that also after from what I have heard so far, I might be just as well off keeping the 4 speed if I buy this Europa

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Yikes!!!!! You beat me by 2 minutes.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Tracy: I'll have to give you a nice commission if you sell it !!! :up:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts