The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a search for this on the forums and I only pulled up two older posts but they didn't mention specifics about the website.... so I was just curious. What are your thoughts on these two Elise's for sale on the cheap?

74 Auto gives you a complete overview of each vehicle listed

74 Auto gives you a complete overview of each vehicle listed

My coworker likes to do repairs in his spare time and he linked me to the website when I had mentioned to him I like the Elise.

Seems like some body repairs would be needed...but I wonder aside from that if these cars are okay? Even if I spent $5k on the body work, it would still be a fairly good price, right? :confused: But then again I am still learning about the cost of body work and repairs for the Elise, so forgive my n00bery. ;)

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that both of these have significant control arm (best case) or frame (worse) dammage. Look at how the wheel on the dammaged side of both cars is not properly positioned front to back. The rear of the wheel well appears undammaged and the wheel is pointed straight forward. Both have the wheel pushed ahead or back. Parts cars only, in my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Well, both cars have salvage titles, so right off the bat, you need to understand what that means for your state, and how that could affect resale later on. Some people will understand that a cracked clam - and only a cracked clam - can result in a salvage title. But, it will cause others to be suspicious of the car, and whether there were other problems. But at least the seller is upfront on this.

If you can do the work yourself, and only need a clam - painted, plus at least a headlamp assembly - you could probably do it for $5-$6k, and less if you can find a used clam/one with minor damage that can be repaired, but you will be competing against other 2005 unmolested Elise's, which can be had in the mid-to mid-upper $20's.

The red car looks like only a clam, marker lights, headlamp, etc., but you would need to look underneath, check the wheel, get a data dump, etc.

The other car had its airbag go off, so that's going to be a lot more expensive.

This board is your friend, and others may have experience with this seller or this type of work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! I was curious if anyone had bought stuff from this company before who could shed more light, possibly some Missourians.

I think in the end I am going to just buy an "unmolested" Elise to save myself the hassle of doing body work and for peace of mind, but I was intrigued by the red Elise on that site, for sure. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts