The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Albert Poon, a 77 year old pro driver got pushed by a Thai girl in Macau Lotus Cup.

He was in perfect line, but that Thai girl just pushed too hard. Hit his rear right and push him all the way like those cops do in TV shows.

·
Terry
2,215 Posts
i watched that race!! that was insane haha! for those that wanna see the crash, fast forward to 0:42:55

there are crashes everywhere in this race.

·
Terry
2,215 Posts
i feel like it's the old man whose rear hits the front clam of the thai girl's elise. but again, i can't really tell :D

·
shay2nak
25,133 Posts
looks like the old dude's fault.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Yeah, it looked like he was following his line irrespective of the other car going thru the corner. Narrow street track with no-where to go except hit the wall. Racing.....stuff happens.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Looked like a great Pit Maneuver. She might consider joining the police force

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
No foul by her. He cut her off, had not yet passed sufficiently to assume the line.

Me no race, this sorta why.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Yeah, he was on the line. She wasn't. She should have yielded, being that she was forced off line. But he shouldn't have presumed she was going to yield. That's what happens when you lose the mental game.

·
A1 Automotive & Smog
950 Posts
Can't blame the old man 100%, he had to cut like that or else he'll hit the wall. The girl had to backed up to give room. This is Macau, they had to treated their ego a little differently.

·
Registered
658 Posts
100% his fault. he could have backed off, which he should have done. If you're on the inside you can pull sh!t like that. If you're on the outside you're going into the wall ...

Nothing to do with Macau specific ego, that is standard racer mentality.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah, he was on the line. She wasn't. She should have yielded, being that she was forced off line. But he shouldn't have presumed she was going to yield. That's what happens when you lose the mental game.
Closest analysis yet of what happened. A couple of comments....

First, this was terrible marshaling....haven't seen things this bad since Italy 1995 or so. Incredible.

Second, as to the accident, street circuits are awfully narrow, with low grip, so there is no option of "giving room" on the outside as you would do at, say, any of the Tilke courses. The inside guy has to know he/she is going to be chopped if they are not right alongside under braking. So the "old guy" took his line and was OK in doing so. However, he should know who he's chopping - it just didn't work out. But there should be no penalty for the old guy....the car trying to overtake didn't get it done and therefore should have backed off.

Third, who on earth chooses a Bentley to be the pace/safety car on a Lotus field?????? I'm wondering if this was an SNL skit, but they were actually serious! The epitome of lightness, the Elise, is being led about by a 2.5 ton behemoth that can barely get out of its own way......I suppose this is an instance of marketing outweighing logic? As Einstein said, "the only thing more common in the universe than hydrogen is stupidity."

Stephen

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the intelligent analysis Lighterthanair. The shots of the crash crew sweeping up debris with the miniature brooms and hauling off the injured driver on a human hand-truck were especially comical. It sure took them long enough to "extricate" the driver.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
looks like the old man accelerated into the wall after he got hit by the second car. Kudos to being that old and still racing.

Reminds me of this situation:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
and this one:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
and kinda this one:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts