The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 83 Turbo Esprit and the fiberglass outer skin for the drivers door is broken and needs to be replaced. Is something like this available after-market?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Hello, I also own a 1983, I think your best bet, instead of reskining the door, would be to buy a used replacement, install it and have it painted, if you don't use ebay, you should then set up the "hit" list to notifiy you when ever anything "lotus" is listed, it might be a wait, but someone will offer doors forsale, the other option is to check places the "break" lotus, ususally in the UK, so shipping will be high, but atleast you will get the door, finially list a WTB - want to buy listing here, - I've had several offers, just watch out for scammers - best wishes - Tom

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I just purchased an 83 Turbo Esprit and the fiberglass outer skin for the drivers door is broken and needs to be replaced. Is something like this available after-market?
How about fix the door? Can you post a pic of the damage, Someone backed into the door of my 78 and cracked the outer skin, it took a good fiberglass less than a day to patch it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry the picture is so large. You can see the gap between the door shell and the frame. According to the seller, the door was not damaged when it left Texas, and it wasn't noted on the pickup inspection form. It was pointed out to me when I picked the car up (and duly noted on the arrival inspection form), so I need something to submit to the transport carrier for insurance.

I intend to have someone with expertise in fiberglass look at it also, but nothing can be fixed until the insurance company checks it out..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,731 Posts
Hard to tell from the photo - fiberglass is pretty flexible when it comes to repairs. If the internal structure is still intact, the door might be repairable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Looks like it has already had an attempted repair on it. Never seen one come apart like that.

You might check with Sportscar World in Texas. Sports Car World

Otherwise, a competent body guy could repair it.

Oh and welcome to the forum Bob! Lutz was one of my old stompin' grounds...'

Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jim- as soon as I get the car back from Dimmitt, I'm going to start checking around for a good fiberglass repair person (know someone?). Since Corvettes are fiberglass, I might be able to find someone via that route. Right now it's frustrating, I bought a beautiful car that I can't drive because for one reason or another it arrived with an unexpected broke wing :-(

As for the damage, Dimmitt says it looks like the door was overextended. The seller said it wasn't like that when it left Texas. The damage was not recorded on the pickup inspection form, and I noted it on the delivery inspection form when I picked the car up so I hope that will help my case. According to the transport site's online tracking, it sat on a lot in Shreveport for 10 days before heading this way.

BTW- I grew up here in Lutz so we've probably passed each other on the road a few times.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can pm me, I have a door shell, door beam/hinge, or whatever you need, I am in Central Fl. so you can save on shipping.

Greg

·
Registered
320 Posts
Looks like either the wind caught the door or the delivery driver tried to back the car out of the trailer with the door slightly open and it got caught on something.

It could be repaired with a good structural adhesive IMO.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So did the transport company pony up in the end?
No, they didn't, and thanks for asking They claim that the door was damaged before pickup and someone (previous owner) did a temporary fix to sell the car.

After dealing with the previous owner thru emails, and with hindsight always being 20-20, I had to agree with them. It cost a bunch of $$ to fix, but the way I look at it I own one of less than 1000 vehicles worldwide, and in the year and color I wanted:coolnana:.

I'll be posting a thread on it later this week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts