1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Why does it have a salvage title?

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
Saw your post yesterday. Since then the idea of making this Esprit roadworthy is getting very appealing to me. I would walk away from a salvage title car, but if I could learn about the car from the prev owner - esp when a forum member - I'd seriously consider having at it. So.. any info about the damage, cause, what it needs, etc would help a lot. If you'd rather not get into it and just put the car behind you, that's ok. I understand. Good luck w/your new S4.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tempted to bid on this bad boy.
How much damage was done to the engine?
None to the engine. All of the rubber/plastic/hoses/belts/vacuum line parts underneath were melted. The wiring harness, too, in the rear, was melted. None of the fiberglass anywhere on it (outside, underneath, etc...) was damaged. The rear bumper was burned as was the rear diffuser, but I don't think the diffuser was melted. It's actually not as bad as it sounds and if I had the will to do it, I could've fixed it myself.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saw your post yesterday. Since then the idea of making this Esprit roadworthy is getting very appealing to me. I would walk away from a salvage title car, but if I could learn about the car from the prev owner - esp when a forum member - I'd seriously consider having at it. So.. any info about the damage, cause, what it needs, etc would help a lot. If you'd rather not get into it and just put the car behind you, that's ok. I understand. Good luck w/your new S4.
I'm the original owner and can answer any questions you may have. I also know who had it years before I got it, but it had left him and gone to one or two others before I got it. It's now a "salvage" title 'cause that's what Allstate did when they took the car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why does it have a salvage title?
That's what Allstate did when they took it from me. They said it was "totaled" 'cause the estimate to repair it would cost over 75% of the cars listed value. They valued it at $15,000.00. The people who submitted the estimate to them told me that I coulda fixed it myself for nowhere near the estimated cost. They were going to have to charge for labour at probably well over $100.00 an hour.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Was the accusump still intalled in the car? I had put it in the boot right about where the fire appears to have been. Did it's lines rupture/get burned?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was the accusump still intalled in the car? I had put it in the boot right about where the fire appears to have been. Did it's lines rupture/get burned?
Yeah, it was in the car, but I had moved it. No, it's lines didn't rupture (for some weird reason).
Who was Schrodinger? Did he have a thing for cats? Not too manly. Or was it Mrs. Schrodinger's cat? You think they owned a dog?

·
Registered
6,487 Posts

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Who was Schrodinger cat?
Oh boy, that opens a can or worms --w/no worms in it. What's an accusump?
It's a separate oil tank/resevoir external of the engine. I used to own this car and had the accusump installed. It would pressurize when the car ran. Before starting, I would pre-oil the engine by hitting a button, and the pressurized oil would shoot into the engine. The idea was to minimize wear at start up, which is when most of it happens.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
It's a separate oil tank/resevoir external of the engine. I used to own this car and had the accusump installed. It would pressurize when the car ran. Before starting, I would pre-oil the engine by hitting a button, and the pressurized oil would shoot into the engine. The idea was to minimize wear at start up, which is when most of it happens.
Thanks. Is this a common or unusual mod for Esprits? I'm learning about Lotus. Had my thing for 911's for ten years and want to go back to British. Had Healey's and B's. Didn't think I'd ever go back to carbs but as I told 84EspritS3 the idea of keeping this car going excites me. Doing it depends on a lot of if's.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Thanks. Is this a common or unusual mod for Esprits? I'm learning about Lotus. Had my thing for 911's for ten years and want to go back to British. Had Healey's and B's. Didn't think I'd ever go back to carbs but as I told 84EspritS3 the idea of keeping this car going excites me. Doing it depends on a lot of if's.
With today's motor oils that cling to parts, pre-lubing is pretty well considered a non-necessity, but you will definitely find people that preach it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would like to bid on it. Not sure how the CoPart operates. Can I just sign up, and bid?
Anyone ever bid on a CoPart Auction?

·
Registered
320 Posts
You have to be a licensed auto dealer or repairer to bid on Copart, some dealers /body shop owners will bid on your behalf for a fee.

Be very carefull about buying a wrecked car, make sure it has at least a salvage/ repairable/rebuilt title If you want to fix it and put it back on the road, junk/unrepairable titled cars are for parts only.

Also in the case of cars like this Esprit which the old owner is describing the damage that caused the car to be written off, the car may have suffered aditional damage since i.e. been moved about the salvage yard with a fork lift truck, causing additional unseen damage to the underside of the car, or has had other parts removed or substituted.

Also power windows left down can cause as much interior mould and electrical damage as a flood car suffers If the car has been stored outside in the rain.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
With today's motor oils that cling to parts, pre-lubing is pretty well considered a non-necessity, but you will definitely find people that preach it.
I owned the car back in the early 90's, and had the accusump installed at the advice of my mechanic, who was Lotus certified. He also raced a vintage Shelby GT350, had been a Lucas engineer on loan to Shelby during the development of the original Cobra (and was given one by Shelby for his contribution), restored vintage race cars including a Bandini, and now in his retirement maintains a private collection of 30+ vintage sports and race cars. He indicated that it was not uncommon for these engines to be in need of a lower end rebuild around 60K miles or so, so we were trying to prolong the inevitable.

Agreed, today's technology may make this moot, but the fact remains that to the extent there is engine wear, most of it happens at start up.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Compartment bidding

Wayne you are only partly right on the bidding rules for Copart.
Anyone can bid on cars, but there are different rules for different bidder categories.
Anyone can register to bid for cars before the live auction, but you can only bid up to $5000 and you can not bid after the live auction starts.
To be able to bid over $5000 and bid during the live auction, you have to pay a $200 registration fee and place a $400 refundable deposit. You can then bid online during the live auction.
You do not need a dealer's license.
Copart does use independent brokers as you mentioned. And, an individual can contract with brokers that Copart lists on their website.

Mannheim Auctions which handles used cars and some damaged cars(although not usually severely damaged ones) does require a dealer's license.

I know all this as I had recently registered with Copart, and my brother has a dealer's license.

Randy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts