The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm a new owner of a 1984 Esprit Turbo. It doesn't currently run. Someone I know basically "gave" it to me a few month ago since it had been sitting and collecting dust for more than 15 years mostly in a garage in Nevada and some outside years here in Northern California. For all things considered, it's not in a horrible shape. No rust! Of course, thanks to the galvanized frame. It was just so dusty and full of black widow webs. And of course, the engine and gearbox were covered with the mixture of grease, oil, and birt. First, I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to start a new project since my garage is not that big and already have several motorcycle projects plus a BMW 2002 project (yes, we need more projects!). But when I saw the car, I just couldn't say no. It's a beautiful, cool-looking, and iconic car as I'm always a fan of Colin Chapman and his F1 achievements.

Anyway, happy to have found this forum. It's already been very helpful (and some very nice super helpful people) for many mysteries that I encountered so far. I will try to post my pics of fixing up this car. I don't think I can even call what I do a 'restoration' since I just want to fix it up and drive the car (at least for now). Meanwhile, when I'm not in my garage degreasing the parts and adding shims to the car, I will keep posting pics of my progress. And will post questions since I'm still struggling with it.

Thanks!
Aki

Attachments

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Hello everyone!

I'm a new owner of a 1984 Esprit Turbo. It doesn't currently run. Someone I know basically "gave" it to me a few month ago since it had been sitting and collecting dust for more than 15 years mostly in a garage in Nevada and some outside years here in Northern California. For all things considered, it's not in a horrible shape. No rust! Of course, thanks to the galvanized frame. It was just so dusty and full of black widow webs. And of course, the engine and gearbox were covered with the mixture of grease, oil, and birt. First, I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to start a new project since my garage is not that big and already have several motorcycle projects plus a BMW 2002 project (yes, we need more projects!). But when I saw the car, I just couldn't say no. It's a beautiful, cool-looking, and iconic car as I'm always a fan of Colin Chapman and his F1 achievements.

Anyway, happy to have found this forum. It's already been very helpful (and some very nice super helpful people) for many mysteries that I encountered so far. I will try to post my pics of fixing up this car. I don't think I can even call what I do a 'restoration' since I just want to fix it up and drive the car (at least for now). Meanwhile, when I'm not in my garage degreasing the parts and adding shims to the car, I will keep posting pics of my progress. And will post questions since I'm still struggling with it.

Thanks!
Aki
Congratulations on the car. I owned a Calypso Red 84 for several years and loved it. One thing...you don’t own an “Esprit Turbo,” you own a “Turbo Esprit.” If they are still there and original, that’s what the graphics on your car says. They became Esprit Turbo in 88 when the Stevens redesign was introduced. The graphics on the 88s and later say Esprit Turbo.

Nit picky, yes, but that’s how Lotus is. Like the plural of Lotus is just Lotus, not Lotuses, Loti, or anything else. Lotus even issued a service bulletin so stating. And your Esprit is not an S3 Esprit. S3’s don’t have turbos and have different body cladding, and the S3 and Turbo have different Type designations.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Congrats and good luck. The bad news is that virtually every bolt and nut on the car may be rusted as Lotus did not use great hardware back then. To the previous comments here’s a brochure showing the Turbo Esprit and the S3. :)

B7733981-9C79-48F1-BF27-9B6499B394D8.jpeg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts