The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought I had everything finished and dialed in but now I have another issue. Car sat for a week then started right up, no issues ran smooth and acceleration was perfect. Went maybe 8 miles, sat in the parking lot for about an hour then came out and it gave me a hard time starting. The engine sounded a little rough and I had to keep feathering the accelerator pedal to keep it running. Finally after 5 minutes or so of doing this the car idled by itself and drove home just fine. Sat for another couple days then took the car to Cars and Coffee. Again started just fine no issues until re starting it after sitting for a couple hours. Same thing, feathering the gas pedal, idle was a little rough and kept wanting to die. Finally smoothed out and was fine the 18 miles home.
Carbs or ignition? I am at a loss where to begin
It has been about 108 to 112 here but I have not had any issues of the car overheating or running hot at all.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think you have been experiencing vapour lock.
Your car should have a thermostatically controlled fan mounted above the carbs on the inner engine cover.
It should come on on hot days to cool the fuel in the carb float chambers whilst the car is shut down after a run.
If its not working the fuel will start to boil in the float chamber and it wont want to start (or run very well)

Check that out first.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Beside what mentioned (vapor lock) - check the coil. Sometimes when it gets hot after
stopping and very hot weather (sometimes it boils), it loses some zing. The 84 coil known to fail.

Is your 84 has a VIN # SCCFC20A2EHF60442 ???
I used to owned that car if it is.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beside what mentioned (vapor lock) - check the coil. Sometimes when it gets hot after
stopping and very hot weather (sometimes it boils), it loses some zing. The 84 coil known to fail.

Is your 84 has a VIN # SCCFC20A2EHF60442 ???
I used to owned that car if it is.
I was just emailing Rob about the VIN. He mentioned you had a black red 84. Mine is H60549 so not the same car. Would be crazy if it was!
Also noticed coming back from Cars and Coffee that morning after the car already had an issue with starting. I was coming down the freeway about 74mph and it was probably 106 out; hard to explain but all of a sudden I felt like a small judder and then the engine felt really hesitant. I felt it all through the car. Almost like it was starving for fuel and pulling back but there was no loss of speed or any RPM fluctuation. This only lasted 30 seconds or so but I definitely felt it. I was thinking vapor lock but I dont think this issue would be vapor lock related. Could be wrong though

·
Registered
744 Posts
I was just emailing Rob about the VIN. He mentioned you had a black red 84. Mine is H60549 so not the same car. Would be crazy if it was!
Also noticed coming back from Cars and Coffee that morning after the car already had an issue with starting. I was coming down the freeway about 74mph and it was probably 106 out; hard to explain but all of a sudden I felt like a small judder and then the engine felt really hesitant. I felt it all through the car. Almost like it was starving for fuel and pulling back but there was no loss of speed or any RPM fluctuation. This only lasted 30 seconds or so but I definitely felt it. I was thinking vapor lock but I dont think this issue would be vapor lock related. Could be wrong though
Mine has black exterior - red interior and red stripe which is rare.

Next time you run, check & open the small box where the coil is located and touch it.
It should be hot but not extremely hot - also check if there is a touch of oil
leaking in the coil. I remember having the same problem and replaced the coil with hi-performance MSD - never had problem since.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine has black exterior - red interior and red stripe which is rare.

Next time you run, check & open the small box where the coil is located and touch it.
It should be hot but not extremely hot - also check if there is a touch of oil
leaking in the coil. I remember having the same problem and replaced the coil with hi-performance MSD - never had problem since.

What is thee exact make and model of the coil you bought? I think I will try that out

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geeeee, sorry Sm that's about 20 years ago....that's many moon ago. I'm sure the guy who owned my car still using it. I know it's MSD
could be the one on the right 8222 Google Image Result for http://www.racereadyproducts.com/mediafiles/msd-coils640x480.jpg
Its ok, I just found the plugs, the wires, fuel filter, air filter and coil through a Lotus shop. I plan on getting this all done before I head out with the car to Monterey for Pebble Beach. Car will enjoy getting out of the 115 heat here in AZ and enjoy 65-70 degree weather on the coast for a week

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have a MSD coil I am puling off of a running Jensen-Healey (2.0L Lotus 907 motor) that I am converting to crank-fired distributorless ignition. I am in Chandler AZ if you need it. It also has very high quality Magnecore plug wires still in a box brand new if you might be interested in those as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a MSD coil I am puling off of a running Jensen-Healey (2.0L Lotus 907 motor) that I am converting to crank-fired distributorless ignition. I am in Chandler AZ if you need it. It also has very high quality Magnecore plug wires still in a box brand new if you might be interested in those as well.
Hi Steven,
I have met you before, I used to own the White 77 Esprit S1 that I would take to cars and coffee. I just bought a set of plugs, wires, air and fuel filter for the car but but I would be curious about the coil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts