The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pulling my turbo this week...will need rebuild ...probable send to MajesticturboWaco...but before I do.... is there an upgrade unit available for purchase?? Bigger.....Better......Faster!!!! I don't have any mods to my engine and I don't want to put on something that will blow it up! Any Suggestions???

Glenn

·
Registered
534 Posts
What Calvin said. I wouldn't call the engine 'fragile', but it does have an Achilles Heel in the cast pistons. It's not an engine you should over-boost, unless you're willing to accept that the fun ride might not last all that long. If you rebuild the engine, install a set of JE forged pistons. Then you can play with the boost a bit more.

The carb cars don't have a smart ECU/ O2 sensors/ knock sensors that can control lots of boost. The stock dump valve is set for 10 psi. If you bump the boost up, then setting the max for just under 10 psi will make a noticeable difference in performance without requiring re-engineering the intake and fuel systems.

An aftermarket boost controller is a good option. The stock wastegate has a boost signal hose that directly connects the diaphragm to the plenum. The wastegate opens gradually as boost builds in the plenum. That means when you launch from a no-boost, off-idle condition, the wastegate is progressively dumping more and more exhaust gasses overboard at the same time the turbo is trying to build boost. It's counter-productive.

A boost controller is a smart valve in the hose between the diaphragm and plenum. It remains fully closed until a preset boost level is reached, then opens all at once. That means boost and low-end power build much more quickly.

Even if you leave the max boost limit stock, the engine's low end performance will be significantly improved, but the max boost and horsepower will be the same. Better performancee without increasing the peak stress on the engine or drivetrain. Or, an adjustable/ programmable boost controller can also be set for a higher max boost without the need to modifiy the wastegate. Just turn the knob... keeping in mind the dump valve is still set to 10 psi.

A good companion accessory for the boost controller is a Blow Off Valve (BOV). It's different from the dump valve in that it has a diaphragm that's plumbed into the manifold on the downstream side of the throttle butterflies. Whenever the throttle is closed enough to create manifold vacuum (idle, lift off when shifting, over-run, etc), the BOV opens to vent excess boost so it doesn't act as back pressure on the turbine and cause it to decelerate quickly.

With a BOV, the turbine rpm stays up more during temporary lift-off, and with a boost controller boost builds more quickly when the throttle is re-opened. Between the two of them, turbo lag is minimized and the low-end boost curve rises more quickly to a fuller fatter shape without exceeding the pre-set boost limit. Off the line response and initial acceleration are better, but peak performance is pretty much unchanged.

That applies whether you keep the stock boost, or bump it up a couple of psi.

If you increase boost beyond 10 psi, then you will also have to do something about the stock dump valve ('dump' it, or shim it up to an appropriate higher vent pressure), and ensure that the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator can continue to provide fuel pressure to the carb inlets at 4.5 psi above the boost level.

If you just rebuild the stock turbo, inquire about upgrading the bearing. A ceramic ball bearing can result in the turbine spooling up much faster, along with less turbo lag and a more rapid overall rise in boost.

Talk with John Welch at WC Engineering about turbo upgrade options he may have available for the carb Turbo Esprits. Expect better efficiency and less heat build-up with boost, rather than lots more boost... and maybe a little more boost. John has more Esprit-specific knowledge than most generic turbo shops.

Install a K&N filter element. It has less pressure drop across the filter media and will result in a small incremental jump in power. Not big, but the small upfront cost of the washable filter lasts a long time. The effect is enough that you should re-jet the carb a step or two richer.

*~*~*
If you ever rebuild the engine, install the JE forged pistons mentioned above, and specify 8.5:1 compression instead of the stock 7.5:1. Then re-curve the distributor for a more aggressive advance curve and install the green-dot, 104 MOP pulleys on the cams. All together, that will build more cylinder pressure (power) without the need to exceed the dump valve's 10 psi vent setting.

Putting a 104 cam on the intake side only will produce more top end power, but at the expense of some low-end throttle response and torque. If you do it all at once, it will translate as an overall increase compared to stock. However, if you do all but the cam and experience that first; then adding the cam will be noticeable as a small step backwards at the low end of the rev range... but it will pull like a train above 4000 rpm. Stock cams for a mostly-street car, 104 intake cam for an occasional track day car. Choose, you can't have both at once.

If you need more performance than that, then you should consider selling the car and trading up to an SE or later Esprit with the stronger UN-1 transaxle and drivetrain, along with the more sophisticated engine management system.

Good luck,
Tim Engel

·
Cal H
982 Posts
What Calvin said. I wouldn't call the engine 'fragile', but it does have an Achilles Heel in the cast pistons.
The engine is not fragile when newer or fresh, but this person is doing a turbo rebuild which to me means he has some miles on the engine unless he has rebuilt it or if he has dropped in a new set of pistons then its not a problem. But he has not mentioned an engine refresh. So the clock is ticking on the engine, We all know its not a matter of if it is more like when and any extra boosting will accelerate the issue. I was 20-30 feet behind McFadden when his piston cut loose and that was a sickening sight to see smoke and oil belching out of the car that was running fine up until then. As with most club members he was better than most on maintenance and a robust but non abusive driver. If it can happen to him it can happen to anyone when the clock says times up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...I didn't get the turbo off last night...4 bolts to exhaust are tough...will put car up on hoist to gain access. May fire up car tonight as a local guy better with turbos than I will come have a listen and look. I am not 100% sure of a problem and now that I am more involved I may consider an engine out winter overhaul.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,105 Posts
sometimes those Turbo bolts require a special "Lotus Tool".:D

A 13mm (?) wrench cut in half and welded into a 90 degree angle is what my friend "jcummi" uses on the Lotus turbos. :crazyeyes

:tadts:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tonight I put Turbo back together and fired it up. no noise and I reved it up in neutral . At 4000 rpm boast gauge just started to move...at 5000 rpm the boast was only 2.5 lbs. Seems very little..at about 6000 rpm I got to 5lbs. Can anyone tell me what their car gets at the same rev? Is there a difference if driving?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks travis... I figured it must be something like that as I had more boast last year. I will take it to the street and post some boast #'s for the group to weigh in on. Could be under load I will hear the noise that was on and off last year.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a rattle at the high end of boast..about 10 lbs or more, it went away after a few hits at that boast point. It was one of the first times I drove the car after I purchased it and it had sat all winter. One guy said it was probably a lack of oil and then the supply line cleared. Since it happened the car never achieved that high of a boast again as I recall. Will see what happens today.
I am a rookie on the turbochargers as I have a Pantera, Jalpa, and Urraco...all carburated with no turbos, so I appreciate the learning from the group

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Took car out for a quick ride. Only used 1st and 2nd and here are the details. Took it up to 5500 and registered 0.5 bar...maybe a smidge over when I got it to 6000rpm. Did several hard runs and never saw boast get over 8lbs. No noise from Turbo...that's the good part. There was a bit of smoke around the turbo but I think that was the penetrating oil burning off from those nasty exhaust bolts that I soaked. Car ran good...smooth...no rattling.....thinking I will leave for summer and do an engine out in November unless something gives up. Are those boast #'s in line with other 84 Turbos???

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Yes you get around .65 boost. It may do a spike if the waste gate is sticky but should settle down quickly if it is working. The rattling sound could have been the waste gate fluttering about if it was sticking and now it has been used it cleared out so the boost is back down where it should be. How many miles you got on the car? Go have some fun driving

1 - 14 of 14 Posts