The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

How do I wire up the centre horn without creating a tangle of cables to intefere with steering?

Is this possible? What do I need, and also how do I do it !! ?

20200823_184836.jpg 20200823_184814.jpg

·
Registered
812 Posts
Show us a pic of the back of the wheel, is there a copper color metal ring? if so there should be a tab that sticks out a little on the column that rubs on the ring providing the contact as wheel turns. Newer cars use a clock spring.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Nope no ring. Hmm others will chime in. Maybe the older cars had a clock spring too ?

Odd there is not even a hole for the wire for the button to come through

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure - the horn is on the stalk - and it works , I just thought that if the centre piece was functional, may it could be ? Is this a standard steeering wheel?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,863 Posts
Yes, it appears to be the standard wheel for a G-car.

·
Premium Member
1987 Lotus Turbo Esprit HCI - Pearl white w/ Blue interior - No mods
28 Posts
Day I got my car I thought the horn was dead, few days later I learned the horn works by pressing in the turn signal arm inward.

It's a great design, keeping your hands on the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
3,931 Posts
Yes - that's the factory Turbo Esprit steering wheel and there is no clockspring to allow that horn button to work like 'normal' cars.

Trivia bit - if you watch the 007 film "The Spy Who Loved Me" , Roger Moore can been seen 'honking' the horn pad on the S1 Esprit on the hill chase with the motorcylce. And the sound of the horn is different than the 'air trumpet' of the S1 Esprit coming off of the ferry.

·
Premium Member
1987 Lotus Turbo Esprit HCI - Pearl white w/ Blue interior - No mods
28 Posts
Yes - that's the factory Turbo Esprit steering wheel and there is no clockspring to allow that horn button to work like 'normal' cars.

Trivia bit - if you watch the 007 film "The Spy Who Loved Me" , Roger Moore can been seen 'honking' the horn pad on the S1 Esprit on the hill chase with the motorcylce. And the sound of the horn is different than the 'air trumpet' of the S1 Esprit coming off of the ferry.
Now I have to go back and look for that scene. LoL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it appears to be the standard wheel for a G-car.
OK, that's good to know ... but the back of mine says it was Made in Italy 11-86. How's this possible for an 85MY Car? excepting accidents, why would someone swap like for like ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts