The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm this is the 'latching' mechanism for an 86-87 Esprit (Giugaro) removable composite roof panel?

My 80-87 factory service manual doesn't show this part at all (although it shows 1 page on the glass panel bumpers)

The seller isn't 100% of compatibility with Stevens roof panel (I'm thinking of some roof panel modifications and want to keep my original intact).

If the shape is correct,I'd have to get Steven's-compatible latches, but if not, I'll have to pass.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
That's the rear locking pin on a 'G' car composite roof. It pops into a sliding release tab very similar to the way the rear boot lid locks down except without using a cable.

Robert

·
Super Moderator
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ding! Ding! Thanks Robert for confirming the G status.

Now, for extra credit - can someone tell me if the composite roof of a G car can fit in an S car (with modification of the rear 'spike' to S car clamps)?

I know the G car glass roof has holes in completely different place than my S car glass roof. But it really seems like the roof SHAPE is identical?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Because of the body change my best guess is 'no' the roofs are not interchangeable.

Here's a good one...

Yesterday Brother Atwell saw me to I-80 and kindly filled my fuel tank for the trip home. When I started my Audi S6 Avant the glass sun/moon roof decided to open... on it's own!

It has been 'possessed' lately opening to tilt but rotating the switch it would close. Not this time and it was 32 degrees out. I pulled down the switch cover panel and used the allen wrench to close it manually. :DV:

Robert

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,311 Posts
Here's a good one...

When I started my Audi S6 Avant the glass sun/moon roof decided to open... on it's own!
That's a SAFETY FEATURE so that you wouldn't fall asleep behind the wheel, right? Eyes wide open and chattering teeth make for an alert driver...

rotfl

·
Super Moderator
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the G and S Esprits share the same door glass so i was wondering about the roof panels Definitely not the same latching mechanism the front tabs look the same as does the deflector

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
That's a SAFETY FEATURE so that you wouldn't fall asleep behind the wheel, right? Eyes wide open and chattering teeth make for an alert driver...

rotfl
I thought that feature was only supposed to happen when I hit the 'Driver Ejector Seat' option.

Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts