The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of selling my Espirit rather than going forward with a complete rebuild. Feeling too old to tackle it, and rather spend the money on my 64 Avanti. 104K miles, 90K by me. Red with tan interior. Body and interior decent. Any suggestions on what to ask? Engine pulled and needs valve job, and probably sleeves and pistons. Minor scoring at the top of one cylinder. have not pulled the pan yet to inspect bearings.

·
Super Moderator
3,931 Posts
You’ll need to post pictures for a more accurate estimate. Btw 100K miles - pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts
Location would be handy too...

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
It's going to be tough to A) put a price on the car and B) find a buyer willing to take on a project like this. Any prospective buyer will not be able to test any of the car's systems so it has to be assumed that none of it works. A buyer must also assume some parts may be missing and the whole motor will have to be rebuilt. Generaly you start with a running car in perfect condition and reduce the value depending on mileage and condition. Just to use some numbers, assuming the car, if it ran is worth $15,000. A non-runner is worth a fraction of that, say $5,000, maybe even less. Too many things that have to be done just because you are already "in there" like gas tanks, water pump, transmission, and on and on. Your best bet economically is to get the car to run. Otherwise it is a basket case. With that many miles it needs a full rebuild anyway. Carbuff can give you a ball park # for what it can cost to do a full rebuild having done one not too long ago on an '88. He did a lot of the work himself though.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies.
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg

Car is near Portland Oregon and everything worked well mechanically when the teardown began. No parts are missing, as I am doing the work myself. Transmission is fine, and planned to replace the water pump at this point. Should I be considering doing something to the gas tank? The car is in very reasonable condition for its age and mileage, but hardly perfect. If it would bring $5K, I would likely sell it and spend the time on my Avanti. At 75 who knows how much time I have to refurbish my toys.

·
Super Moderator
3,931 Posts
Nice pictures. Do you have any of the interior? Chassis pics would be nice too and engine bay. My 87 is in excellent shape cosmetically and mechanically. I spent nearly 75% of purchase price to get it to daily driver long range driving. Not quite there yet.

There is a local black 86 Esprit on Oakland , CA Craigslist - lower miles but is running and passed CA smog. Interior is excellent as it was partially reskinned. It claims TLC still needed. It has been on Craigslist for several months at $17.5K.

Based on that, I’d say $10K tops for your car in current condition unless something really poor condition. For $5K you’d get many dreamers that may/may not actually have the money. I’d recommend $10K and work your way down from there.

If your have a glass roof that fits my 87, please sell that separately to me. ;-)

Check my garage on left if you want to see where I’m at in my Esprit experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Many owners of older Esprits are seeing rust coming from the tanks. At the very least the tanks should be inspected and if rust is found they should be pulled and fixed while the engine is out. Because of the type of transmission and the age, the notorious circlip should be changed and a bearing machined into the crank. Any buyer will be suspicious of your claim that "all of the parts are there". Unscrupulous sellers could take a blown engine out and take it all apart and say it's all here (and maybe sell some of the most expensive, hard to find parts). That leaves 2 questions now, is it really all there and is any of it any good? A fully assembled, complete car is worth more than a disassembled car. Your problem is, if the car is worth $5K and it costs you $10K to put it back together and you can sell it for $15K is it worth it? It may because a basket case is hard to sell. Maybe try an ad and see what kind of response you get. Look at BAT (Bring A Trailer). If you are retired maybe you can find the time to do a lot of the work yourself.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you all for your replies. View attachment 1254500 View attachment 1254501

Car is near Portland Oregon and everything worked well mechanically when the teardown began. No parts are missing, as I am doing the work myself. Transmission is fine, and planned to replace the water pump at this point. Should I be considering doing something to the gas tank? The car is in very reasonable condition for its age and mileage, but hardly perfect. If it would bring $5K, I would likely sell it and spend the time on my Avanti. At 75 who knows how much time I have to refurbish my toys.
Hello, is your Esprit still for sale ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts