The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My reverse lock out doesn't work making it difficult to find 5th gear.
I looked up the parts explosions of the shifter linkage and it looks like the reverse lockout is done right up by the shifter. But to see any of those parts I need to move the front half of the center console out of my way.
I removed the rear center hold down bolt and the two little wing nuts and washers hidden behind the radio. But it still feels like it's connected near the bottom. None of the parts diagrams I can find show any other fasteners.
I've read in another thread that one guy needed to loosen the gauge pod up to get it to clear but I'm getting far enough up to contact it. I can move the whole thing about 1/4".

Anyone with any experience have any tips?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,837 Posts
Does your G-car have a strap across the middle of the 'backbone'? There are screws hidden behind there.

See

·
Registered
249 Posts
IIRC you need to remove two screws on the HVAC control panel. Remove the four knobs and you'll see the screws behind the two large knobs.

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No mine's not quiet like yours. Carbuff, mine has the window switches in the center. Your design seems a lot better. My arm rest is a piece of ABS with home carpet padding glued to it with some leather stretched over. The leather of course has shrunk and warped the piece all over.

2Many Cars I'll go give it a shot, my knobs didn't seem like they wanted to come so I wasn't sure what to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2many Cars was right, the screws behind the climate control panel were what held me up.
Thank you guys, I feel sort of stupid now. Those knobs are spring loaded and took some working to get them to actually move.
Strangely I can see the pin and it's working like it's supposed to. So I guess there must be some adjustment in one of the linkages.
Won't be the first issue I've had with the linkage. The bracket that supports the swiveling bit up near the passenger rear wheel had broken in half making it sloppy to get 2nd, 4th, and Reverse.
It originally had two tack welds holding the bushing on and it broke right in front of those, so I welded it solid. I don't have a way to rezinc parts yet so I had to settle for paint.

If anyone knows about adjusting the side to side of the shifter I'm all ears. I'll probably tinker around with it tomorrow.

I'm glad I got in there anyway. I found a whole dead mouse hiding down in the frame with the linkage.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts