The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 88 Esprit (Bosch CIS) is up for a 1 year CA smog (Test Only). It passed fine on purchase back in July 2011. However, after about 10K miles of driving since then, the idle is still sporadic when hot (drops to 600 RPM and slowly goes back to around 850RPM). Cold starts appear fine - 1800 RPM and drops to 1200 RPM before finally reaching 850RPM @ 80C

MRDANGERUS gave me some tips to check vacuum lines and other items, but nothing stood out. At least, until now. Below is a picture of what I believe to the CPR (Control Pressure Regulator aka WUR Warm Up Regulator). What surprised me is there is a 1/4" diameter hose that appears to be a VENT hose (the U-shaped black hose). There is no obvious connection for this hose near by. Am I missing a connection? I don't recall CPR having a vent?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The control pressure regulators on our cars are built with full-load enrichment and altitude compensation. That hose connects to a vacuum nipple. I believe at high altitude with reduced atmospheric pressure it aids in the operation of the aneroic capsule expanding and exerting an additional closing force on the control pressure valve, raising the control pressure and compensating the mixture strength for altitude.

·
Super Moderator
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is normal. It is just a vent. Mine has the same thing. Lotus WUR is equipped with barometric diaphragm.
Thanks for the confirmation. Never ceases to amaze me what I learn decades later with CIS.

·
Super Moderator
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Followup - I passed my smog test, but a few funny things happened.

There are at least 2 reference books - one is the emission equipment list - the book didn't have Lotus listed at all: Lincoln to Mazda.

The other book was the 'tune up' book that lists what timing setting for the car (15 Degrees in my case). That book had Lotus and had Esprit 74-87 and 89-04. but no 1988 (my car is an 88). The timing check is listed on my smog test as N/A as he couldn't determine the actual setting. But apparently I'm still a pass.

For California Test Only, they do an evaporative test for older cars - replace the gas cap with some kind of test cap and check for excessive gas fumes (?). Passed as well.

Lastly, the specs are interesting (measured value):

15 MPH - 1792 RPM - CO2: 15.3 O2: 0.1 - HC: MAX 116 PPM (40 PPM) CO: MAX 0.74% (0.01%) NO: MAX 791 PPM (40 PPM)

25 MPH - 2882 RPM - CO2:15.2 O2: 0.0 - HC: MAX 91 PPM (13 PPM) CO: MAX 0.62% (0.02%) NO: MAX 730 PPM (12 PPM)

Overall the specs were extremely clean with the HC being the only higher spot.

The inspection period is every 2 years. Despite a smog test 1 year ago when I bought the car, that doesn't reset the established inspection period. That means next year I have no test. I previously thought I had once a year obligation.

Lastly, I was told the test only stations go away next year with these 'Gold Shield' stations coming into play - smog stations that were the highest performing in terms of completeness of test, etc. Apparently California DMV has recorded ALL smog test results since 1992 (RPM and test levels). They supposedly have a full history of my car's smog history so they can see any significant changes over the years.

Clearly, if your numbers are substantially different year-to-year, it will send a red flag. :panic: Keep that in mind when you're being tested :huh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts