The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my car fully put together, just waiting on fuel pumps to arrive. While dry shifting though the gears, I noticed the shifter goes all the way to the right, past where 5th gear would be. To find fifth I have to pull it back to the left a touch and push forward. Reverse is all the way to the right, then push the shifter down, and pull back.

Is this normal, or is my cable out of adjustment? All other gears are easy to find, it is just 5th that is a pain.

Pumps should be in today, so hopefully this weekend I get to fire it off and start diagnosing any other possible issues. Looks like she is going to run, fuel pumps cycle, but they are clogged and don't move any fuel. I have a CIS gauge kit hooked up so I can dial in the injection once she starts up. I cleaned the fuel distributor, all the injectors, but haven't dug into the frequency valve or WUR so see if they are clogged. They looked fairly clean so hopefully some techron will finish it up.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
5th gear does take some getting used to. You are probably fine and just need to get accustomed to it. This tranny did not have a 5th gear at first and it was added for the Esprit, IIRC.

Keep working with it - its NOT all the way to the right. On my '87, its a *little* before all the way to the right and then up.

:)

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,427 Posts
You have set the static adjustment for the linkages?

The bellcrank linkage @ the right frame should be tilted back a little at the top.

The cross-link shift cable should be adjusted so that the shift lever tilts a little to the right side of the car, IN NEUTRAL.​

These adjustments assume that the shifter bushings (under the shift knob, in the interior) are sound.

Good Luck!!! My car is close to running, as well. :clap:

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not adjust the linkages, just put them back where they were originally. I will check the adjustment and see where it lands. Thanks for the info.

I am hoping to hear her purr this weekend, maybe even do a little neighborhood tour.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
You have set the static adjustment for the linkages?

The bellcrank linkage @ the right frame should be tilted back a little at the top.

The cross-link shift cable should be adjusted so that the shift lever tilts a little to the right side of the car, IN NEUTRAL.​

These adjustments assume that the shifter bushings (under the shift knob, in the interior) are sound.

Good Luck!!! My car is close to running, as well. :clap:
Atwell - was I wrong about 5th gear being added afterwards to that tranny?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me. On my first '88 Esprit and my current '88 which I have owned twice, it has always gone all the way to the right, past 5th, but it is that way just so that you can enter Reverse. In actual driving, the natural motion of the lever in an upshift from 4th to 5th does not require the exaggerated extreme required to enter Reverse. It will become second nature to you after just a few shifts if you have never driven one before.

I agree with what S2Mikey said, you are probably fine and will just get accustomed to it...it just takes some getting used to with use. As always, shifting is always different when the vehicle is in motion with everything spinning as opposed to running through the gears with the engine off.

Couldn't hurt to check the adjustment per Atwell...just don't let him give you any advice about wings ;)

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,427 Posts
Atwell - was I wrong about 5th gear being added afterwards to that tranny?
Nope. As Harry M said, they added the overdrive to the rear of the original transmission case. The Citroen derivatives used overdrives (5th) 'way before Lotus used the transmission.

But don't let it go to your head. That answer wasn't on page 65 of Section LD, you know... :up:

rotfl

·
Integrator
3,003 Posts
Check integrity of your linkage bushings. If they are original-replace with new. They are available from the "Usual Suspects".
Mine were worn out and sloppy. I've added a Heim joint where the adjustment yoke (#29) was.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
I did not adjust the linkages, just put them back where they were originally. I will check the adjustment and see where it lands. Thanks for the info.

I am hoping to hear her purr this weekend, maybe even do a little neighborhood tour.
OK - do the basic check - is the trans filled with oil? I know you're dry-shifting it but my 88 Citroen trans was acting up - not shifting into 5th 'wet'.

Harry confirmed what we saw - I had the mechanic change/top off oil and 5th gear (along with some adjust) came back alive. The oil level seemed a touch low so changing it (after only ~12K miles) and topping it off seemed to help.

Harry mentioned that low oil level can make shifting into 5th harder.

FYI Harry is like Dr. Citroen on this forum, so he's another great resource for all thing Citroen.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,427 Posts
OK - do the basic check - is the trans filled with oil?
^^^ Good point. Especially after an initial fill, the trans fluid level drops a bit after you drive it...it seeks all the nooks and crannies. So, you should verify that the trans fluid is still dripping out of the fill level bolt hole. (bottom plug on the left side of transmission)

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
^^^ snip]So, you should verify that the trans fluid is still dripping out of the fill level bolt hole. (bottom plug on the left side of transmission)
Note there are TWO plugs/bolts on the left side of transmission - as Atwell says, the BOTTOM is the correct plug.

Do NOT touch the top bolt - not sure what happens, but it can't be good since it's the wrong one.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Hi, only on the C35 transmission there are two 14 mm bolts at the side
( Nothting will happen if you take it out. On the C35 Van these are bolts for bracket )

On the "previous" there is only one.

But never mind that level plug, leave it. Just put in 3 liter.

cheers,

Harry Martens

Home ( new website)

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Manual states 2.25L for the Citroen trans and 3.0L for the Renault. Are you saying overfill the Citroen tranny or did you just confuse the capacities on the two?

Thanks for the advice. I filled it with 2.3L but haven't checked the level plug yet.

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
Manual states 2.25L for the Citroen trans and 3.0L for the Renault. Are you saying overfill the Citroen tranny or did you just confuse the capacities on the two?

Thanks for the advice. I filled it with 2.3L but haven't checked the level plug yet.
Harry has posted in one of my old threads that overfilling the Citroen C35 was OK and did recommend 3 liters. I forget the rationale but overfilling mine to about 2.5L definitely helped with my 5th gear issue.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts

Yes, overfill. No worries, there is no pressure inside tranny, so no leaks.

Better , much better for 5th on primairy shaft.

cheers,

Harry Martens

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
You can't really tell how the car shifts by shifting it when the motor and the car is not moving. Give it a try once the car is running. As mentioned you should check for any play/looseness/wear, in the shifting linkages, fix it, and check the adjustments, and then check the level in the transaxle. As important as the level is, what kind if oil and how old it is also matters. If you don't know what is in there or how long it has been in there the best thing to do is to change it. The left-right adjustment can be changed a little to fit your driving style if necessary. Be very sensitive to any transmission problems as a danger sign that the circlip may be failing. If you are near or over 40,000 miles you should consider pulling the transaxle to inspect it.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
913 Posts
When sitting still not running, my Citroen will always go into all the gears easily, even when I had serious clutch problems, unless I had the linkage way out of adjustment, I know this because I first thought or hoped my clutch problems were linkage problems and adjusted them every which way to try to solve it.

It should go into every gear sitting still not running easily, sounds like your linkage. Or maybe the shifter mechanism itself needs lubed and is sticking under the console.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts