The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current auction for a V8 Esprit tool kit has me wondering - does anyone have the factory tool kit for an 88 Esprit?

I saw a V8 Esprit today with its respective tool kit - hanging on a mount near the battery.

My 88 Driver guide shows a drawing of a tool kit strapped on top of the battery cover - my car didn't come with the kit and I've never seen one on eBay offered.

Anyone with a picture? Curious to see what tools are recommended to carry.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I found one on ebay a few years ago. A couple of screwdrivers, plug wrench, pliers, three open end wrenches and a 19 mm socket. They're all marked "Hayco" I bought the tool kit just to help complete the car. Mine mounts on top of the battery box, which I'm still looking for. Kind of a waste of money, but nice to have.
Dave
90SE

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
I saw that tool kit when I was scrolling through the parts. It looks like the one on top of my battery in my S4. The tool kit is held in place with a rubber strap (not quite a bungee). I agree w/Lotus Dave. Not very useful but if you want everything the car came with then important to have

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,425 Posts
I took some pictures tonight of the Lotus tool kit and its contents.

Yes, all the tools are made by Heyco Tools of West Germany. <---That kinda dates it, doesn't it? :eek:

It contains:

1 Philips PZD2 (I assume this is the PosiDrive type of Philips that the Brits use)
1 Flat blade screwdriver, 5 mm wide blade
1 3/8" drive "handle". The drive shank moves along the bar so that it can be used either as a breaker bar or a T handle

1 Pliers/wire cutters

3 Open End wrenches:
1 17x13 mm
1 13x10 mm
1 10x8 mm​

1 19 mm socket (lug nut size)

1 21 mm spark plug socket

Fuses: 2A, 3A, 5A, 7.5A, 10A, 15A, 20A

When I first got my car I added a 3/8", 12" long breaker bar because the one in the kit was too wimpy to remove lug nuts. :panic:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for the picture, Atwell!

The V8 tool kit is definitely different and given the production numbers for 88 MY, I'm surprised I've not seen one on eBay or other source.

I have the battery cover with rubber strap that attaches to the tool kit.

Maybe I'll ask the 2nd owner (out of 4 including me) - he owned it the longest - wonder if he accidentally left it out of the car.

Thanks - at least now I know what it looks like. :D

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Anyone got pics of pic of kit like came in 1994 S4?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,425 Posts
In the past I have been guilty of keeping a momento of a car that I have been fond of. Maybe he did the same
Why not just keep all the credit card receipts for service and parts? Ahh, fond memories...rotfl

PS: I spent so much on my car in 2012 that JAE sent me a shirt! :up:

++++++++++++

Seriously, prob the battery was replaced... and the kit and cover got "lost". Or, it fell under the gas tank!

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
Anyone got pics of pic of kit like came in 1994 S4?
I'm lousy about pics. I don't remember a Lotus logo on it or green driver handles but that's what it looks like. When I got the last year I removed the tool kit from the top of the battery. Seemed like the strap wasn't enough to secure it. In fact just putting it there w/the strap seemed like a late Friday afternoon in the factory what-the-hell-let's get-out-of here decision, but I put it back and it stays there just fine. Ken

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
It would appear that over the years Heyco changed the tool kit and when Lotus bought them they used them as they changed. Even the V-8 tool kits vary. BTW, the V-8 tool kits hang on a bracket in the front boot, not by the battery. As for usefulness, they might be OK to change a light bulb, nothing more.
David Teitelbaum

·
Super Moderator
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I would go for one of the tool roll case. and fill it with what makes sense. its not OEM but probably more functional. [snip]
RE: OEM - that's what I was guessing - I already carry a Craftsman tool kit with more tools and the equivalent of the OEM kit. Just wanted to make sure that I had a superset of the OEM tool kit functionality.

Of course, there is that side of me that wants the OEM tool kit for completeness. But the issue is I don't use the battery cover (that holds the tool kit) because my Optima battery doesn't fit correctly. So it would be a collectible in my Lotus stash :D

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
If you find one, find two.

Hey, I'm heading back to Killeen next week, did you still want to sell that carbon fiber plinth? I'll come thru Dallas anyways on my way.
I'll be out of town 08.07 thru 08.10
Still have it !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts