The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I know a few came from MR2's here, thought I'd ask:
I don't have all the details but a friend of mine is looking at a high mileage 88 MR2 supercharged, it's cheap but how are these cars? What's to look out for? Should he run away from a high mileage car? And what's a good forum for these?

thx

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
mr2oc.com would be the place to look. Am a long time owner of the MKII, a fair number are in the 200k mile range.

Know very little about the finer details of a MKI.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I had a roommate in college with one. It was overall a pretty great car. We never raced it though. The 4gae engine is a trooper.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had a couple of these, pretty reliable vehicles if left stock. Larger crank pulleys are a common upgrade and can lead to possible s/c issues if you go too big. People forget to check the s/c oil level. Things such as trim bits breaking, leather seats cracking, p/w switches failing, t tops leaking and rust are things to look for.
Mr2's are what got me into Lotus cars, they're a ton of fun but the MK1's are starting to look pretty dated (not in a good way IMO)

Tass

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Look for 5th gear pop out when driving. Make sure the shifter stays where it is supposed to.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will pass on the info

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Look for 5th gear pop out when driving. Make sure the shifter stays where it is supposed to.
Randy, that's only the the NA cars... the SC MKIs share the same transmission as the early MR2 turbo (E153?).

I've owned three MKIs... 2 NA and 1 SC. The SC is great fun but you can definitely feel the weight over the NA cars. The gearing is way too tall (since it shares the MK2 transmission) and it's seriously lacking in power but they are awesome fun.

I never had any major issues with mine. They are fun AND reliable :)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Randy, that's only the the NA cars... the SC MKIs share the same transmission as the early MR2 turbo (E153?).
Good to know.

I enjoyed racing the SC car, nice power delivery.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
In that case, check out the shifter a little more closely. The earlier version of the MkII tranny used single cone synchros. Wasn't till '93 they went to dual, the single tend to get pretty notchy.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Notchy or they downright failed. :) I replaced my MR2's tranny at around 50k miles

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I had an '85 MR2 and it was bulletproof for 7 years/97K miles that I owned it. As much as I like the old MR2s and the rare supercharged ones, I'd view any of them as a series of projects.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Notchy or they downright failed. :) I replaced my MR2's tranny at around 50k miles
Man what were you doing to it??

We ran 756 RWHP through one for countless drag passes and it never broke. I always put them right below the Supra's 6-speed Getrag transmission in terms of robustness.

They DO however have weak synchros in the 88-92 gear boxes so that is something to look out for.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I can tell you I was not the only one. It was pretty common in SCCA autocross to have the synchros fail.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
ohhh I thought you meant you busted something major hence the entire replacement. We had to upgrade to the 93+ box in the high hp car due to the weak synchro issue.

Meh, who needs synchros. Old cars in the past never used them rotfl

But yes, it's a large concern. Check for a crunch when shifting (especially second gear).

·
Registered
539 Posts
yeah.. i had a NA MKI Mr2 for about 5 and a half years.

everything was perfect for the 1st 5 years.

The last six months i had it, i had the 5th gear pop out issue. I got used to driving with my hand on the stick for a while, then other minor things started to go wrong.

So, i had those things repaired then sold it and got a 94 mr2 turbo.

Never had a problem with that 94.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts