The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

My search continues for a 2017/18 Evora. I wanted my wife to see the car in person, and luckily enough a neardealership had a leftover 2018 available.

The window sticker threw me off. It indicates an Obsidian Schwartz black paint job for $8k! Picture attached. I only see metallic black as an option in 2018. Was this a legit option in 2018, or just the dealer inflating the price?

Anything else look off?

Thx

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nope that's the sticker price direct from Lotus, this is a fully loaded car with Carbon Roof, tailgate & front panel. Expect a heavy discount now.

·
Wingless Wonder
5,438 Posts
May the Schwartz be with you!
LOL, that's the first thing that crossed my mind, too! <snicker>

Obsidian must be the fancy-schmansy name for that sparklie color...

Schartz must be the guy who braved the volcano to first see the effect and color.
"Obsidian is a naturally occurring volcanic glass formed as an extrusive igneous rock. Obsidian is produced when felsic lava extruded from a volcano cools rapidly with minimal crystal growth. "

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Expect a heavy discount now.
Funny...The sales guy said, "name your price". :)

The MSRP is $121k and they have it discounted to just under $100k. I mentioned to him that I've found a few used 2017/2018 Evora's with low mileage for around $70-74k.

What price would you offer? ;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
2018s with the full carbon are being offered in the mid-90k range at Lotus West if I recall correctly. There are 2018s with partial or no carbon that are asking high $80ks. That includes a 10 or 15k manufacturer‘s rebate that they took and forced them to punch the warranty clock this past summer.

·
Loves to talk
827 Posts
*New 0 mile high spec '18 with unpunched (?) warranty = worth more than previously registered '17. Add $12K to $72000 (as new previously registered '17).
*Carbon pack 2 is real to me and of value. I wouldn't spec it but I like it. Add $8K over
similar new '18 in plain wrapper.
*Paint: not worth a cent to me, black isn't my color. No added value but if you love it that's
worth something.
*Alcantara steering wheel. $450? really? Gimme leather for free. Add $30.
*Cruise: All cars should come with cruise in base form. The switch is worth $30. Add $30.
*Premium Radio with sub. It's not all that premium, the sub can be an issue but take it anyway and the nav is nice to have. Add $300.

Decent deal: $92,360 plus tax, tags and reg.

Now I'd be happy with that car in a color and without carbon so I'd prefer another spec but if that car really spoke to me and I could get it for under $90,000 I'd consider that an OK deal compared to what the dealer had to pay for it. I'd offer $84,00 and come up from there assuming I absolutely loved it. Any more than that and I'm in a stripper '20GT.

Most of the value over a '17 is in the carbon and the fact that it's new. How much is that worth to you over a model year older but like new car running out of warranty?

In the end, they're great whatever you pay. I was an early adopter but didn't want to wait two years to get one cheaper. I knew I would be paying more to have it now and I did that and don't really regret it. The cheap early cars are, as you are seeing, starting to dry up. Choice is much more limited and shipping starts to enter into it. It's not necessarily your market, it's just the way I break it down.

Hope that makes some sense.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I've been watching 400 prices but am still struggling with what a good discount on these fully loaded (ie carbon pack 18s) is. The big thing is what the carbon pack is worth. You can get a base GT discounted into the 90s so is an 18 with the carbon worth almost as much as a new GT with a full warrenty, more power etc. Admittedly they it is a worthwhile discount vs a GT with the carbon pack. I just think it's a tough sell to ask similar prices for a stock GT and any leftover 18. So I would be hard pressed to purchase a leftover for anything over $85k. Saying that it seems like 400s are holding their value a bit better than the S1s.

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
That sticker is only worth it if someone will pay for it. My local dealer has a fully loaded 20918 in that price range and I know its out to door in the low 90's at best at this point. Its my in case mine gets totalled option.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
That sticker is only worth it if someone will pay for it. My local dealer has a fully loaded 20918 in that price range and I know its out to door in the low 90's at best at this point. Its my in case mine gets totalled option.
I’ve earmarked a few too for that eventuality. I just got mine back from the deer hit and missed it a lot but I just can’t see it being worth spending that to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
fully loaded car with carbon pack etc recently sold near me for $84k
Used? There was one in philly earlier this year at a Nissan dealership with 1500 miles and aftermarket wheels that sold for mid/low 70s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BTW, I'm having PPF installed but noticed the car already has film on some surfaces. Can anyone tell me how much PPF is factory installed and where? The was no optional Lotus Guard on the sticker. Thanks.

·
Loves to talk
827 Posts
"Lotus Guard" which is what Lotus calls PPF was a factory option on mine and listed for $1495 in 2017. It covers the full front, front clam/fenders, mirrors, door sills (but not the doors). It doesn't cover the roof (or headlights) but does cover the rear fenders/clam where it widens. It has done a good job of protecting the car overall and shows no evidence of any pitting. Some S1 owners have complained of yellowing but mine still looks new , clear and has not lifted at the margins.

A few weeks ago a truck dropped a hunk of wood right in front of me that I was unable to avoid. It struck the car a good hard smack at the splitter, very unnerving. I was sure it would leave a big scar based on how hard it hit but when I got home there was only a surprisingly light scuff and although the film was dented and looked scarred but polished out using a light polishing compound and some wax. The paint wasn't even started.

I was happily surprised at how effective the stuff is and would not own an important car without a clear wrap.

·
Registered
592 Posts
BTW, I'm having PPF installed but noticed the car already has film on some surfaces. Can anyone tell me how much PPF is factory installed and where? The was no optional Lotus Guard on the sticker. Thanks.
I see you got your Evora 400 at Fort Lauderdale Collection. I got mine there too in 2017, a red manual one. Mine came only with the front end protected. So, I went to autosupershield in Boca Raton where they covered the rest of the car with the paint protecting film. Thy do a very good job. You can go to their website and see the prices since those pieces are computed cut and are sold per piece.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Funny...The sales guy said, "name your price". :)

The MSRP is $121k and they have it discounted to just under $100k. I mentioned to him that I've found a few used 2017/2018 Evora's with low mileage for around $70-74k.

What price would you offer? ;)
Better for you to buy a pre owned Evora 400 that has service history and perhaps with some extras options already done by the first owner. You’ll save thousands of dollars. Unless you want a brand new car but those will not be that “cheap”

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm planning this week to buy an '18 Evora with 1048 miles and a warranty start date of 2/19. It has the same options but with black pack instead of carbon. Plain red paint (base) is being called category 3 @ $8,055 as well. Sounds like bull to me. It is otherwise in new condition and selling for $75000. Seems fair to me, agreed?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts