The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice piece by Dan Carney in the September issue of my favorite car mag, SCI. A few new (to me) tidbits:

- the bodywork has "an irregular surface that is visibly wavy at ten paces"

- rigidity is an impressive 9,500 Nm per degree of deflection

- author felt quicker-ratio power steering woud've been better on the "very tight" autocross course at Barber, but on the road course and the street the manual steering was "perfect"

- "with the Sport Pack the ride is not noticeably degraded"

- "extremely tolerant of mid-corner corrections" (base or LSS)

- "With either suspension, the car exhibits mild understeer at turn-in" (later states LSS wider fronts neutralize most of this)

- "Despite...low polar moment of inertia, it's easy to catch slides"

The rest is mostly another confirmation of the great stuff we've already heard, albeit a fairly detailed and comprehensive one. They've got a nice directly overhead shot of a green car I hadn't seen before. In the next issue, apparently they're going to do a comparison test with other roadsters. No mention of an SE-R, though.

Sorry, no scanner.

·
Registered
543 Posts
does the Magazine have a web site?? thanks!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

::sigh:: now I want LSS again. ;)

I really hope an LSS car is available for a test drive before I place my order.

·
Registered
146 Posts
No mention of an SE-R, though.[/B]
Damned, How dare they :D I declare war on them. How dare they not mention the best car EVAR :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
spindoc said:
Nice piece by Dan Carney in the September issue of my favorite car mag, SCI. A few new (to me) tidbits:
Hmm. You think Mr. Carney's b*tt is calibrated differently from the Lotus USA guys? ;)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
September issue ? I can almost understand if it was pre-dated to August, but September ? It's still June, last time I checked...:confused:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Got my issue yesterday and was happy to see the Elise on the cover. Read the article before sorting the mail, and was a little disappointed that it did not have a full performance test yet -- have to wait until the November issue for that. The discussion of handling dynamics was much more informative than in their earlier article. Although laudatory, this article is more balanced than other reviews. In addition to the irregularities in the composite fiberglass surface (which he calls plastic) and the slightly slow steering ratio, the article also rates the gearbox linkage as good but not great (not up to Miata or S2000 standards). But, he rated the gear ratios and spacing as about ideal to easily keep things on the boil. Incidentally, the steering ratio is probably designed for straight-line stability on the road (versus over-twitchy race car ratios) and ideal overall control on the track; the direct feedback from the unassisted setup certainly outweighs the slight advantage of boosted ratios that are quicker in tight corners. Can't wait! :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Getting yesterday's issue of SCI makes me realize (oh man, this is painful) that I have been waiting since August 1961 for this car . . . . That was when I bought an issue of the predecessor Sports Car Graphic magazine (50 cents) that featured the Lotus Elite on the cover. The article was really fantastic as was the car's looks in the photo spread. Still have that magazine! Ever since I have been smitten with the Chapman ethic of small, light, and horse and rider as one, and have owned the lightest, smallest sports cars I could afford since. Watched a lot of Elites and Elans in vintage racing. Sadly, I have not been able to get my hands on either a first generation Elite or an Elan 26R. My first generation MR2, however, sold me on mid-engine dynamics, and I would have traded up to a second generation MR2 Turbo (once they sorted out the over-steer in 1993) for performance, except that it was too heavy and not naturally aspirated. Still think the first Elite is the best looking design ever, but will prefer the mid-engine Elise performance. Damn, that's 43 years and counting . . . maybe it's a record?:mad: :D

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
what color is the car they reviewed?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
In addition to the irregularities in the composite fiberglass surface (which he calls plastic)

Of course, he should call it plastic because it is plastic!!!:huh:

FGRP = Fiber Glass Reinforced Plastic! :huh: :huh: :confused:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Cover shot is of Chrome Orange and Artic Silver Elises, and title shot is very nice of CO car; photos also feature Krypton Green, Storm Titanium, Saffron Yellow and Lotus Racing Green. I mentioned Carney's use of "plastic," without reference to the fiberglass reinforcement, because it makes it sound like what you would find on a Saturn or Fiero, rather than what it is -- not wrong, just shorthand. By the way, nice picture of the Elite!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Finally got my copy and found the back cover pretty interesting - a Lotus add for the 2004 Esprit. Would have thought advertising a current model would be more practical, but what do I know?

The cover story itself is great and certainly should reinvigorate everyones desire to get their car.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
dez said:
Finally got my copy and found the back cover pretty interesting - a Lotus add for the 2004 Esprit. Would have thought advertising a current model would be more practical, but what do I know?
Also saw that ad in AutoWeek. It is odd... but it makes sense in that they are getting free ads on the Elise from all the write ups, and a full page Elise ad probably won't sell another Elise. But there are still Esprits on the showroom floors and they need marketing.

Anyone have scans of the Elise article? Higher res digital pics?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I also figured it was to help clear out inventory, but it will take more than adds. Perhaps a 20k price drop.

I'll try to scan the article this evening so everyone can enjoy.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Re, the Esprit ad: It may be a simple matter of Lotus buying a year's worth of ads (a "12x" contract), and not having new creative to supply to the magazines. This wouldn't surprise me given the company's general communication deficencies.

Plus, if I was running Lotus, I too would want to clear the Esprits out of the channel. My guess is that the the Elise will actually drive Esprit sales: Fat cats who find the Elise to be too Spartan will be "upsold" to the Esprit on the dealership floor.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Anyone have scans of the Elise article? Higher res digital pics?
I thought someone would have posted it by now! Ok, I'll scan & post, hang tight.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts