The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Been here for a while and decided to make my first post. I didn't feel worthy of posting until I had solidified a purchase. If everything goes well and the car is portrayed accurately, I'll take delivery this Saturday.

Because of the vast amounts of information I've gleaned from this forum, I was hoping someone out there might have come across this particular Esprit. The only information I have at this point is that the car is a 93.5 and the ad states everything is on the level. 40k original miles with a few scratches on the exterior and interior is immaculate, save for the normal wear of getting in and out of the driver's seat. As of this writing, here's the ad on craigslist:
1993 Lotus Esprit Turbo

I've spoken with the owner who seems awfully candid about the car and we've spoken at length about the particulars. Extensive service history, maintained as it should be, etc. So I'm feeling pretty comfortable about the sale thus far. The car is about 2 hours from me and I'll most likely make it out there at least once one of these workdays just to see the car and do the once-over before the final transaction. As I'm sure many others before me have felt, this is the car I've had on my wish list since I first laid eyes on them in and have followed them ever since.

I've been told I have an almost sickening obsession with cars and the Lotus is definitely in my top five all-time favorite wish-I-had-one cars and am finally able to make it happen. Those who truly appreciate cars, and even more so the Lotus Esprit, get my obsession. Then there's pretty much everyone else. Most of the people I've shown pictures of the car are either a) have no idea what kind of car it is or the maker or b) seem to be indifferent. Not complaining, but I do find it interesting how folks react to the obsessions of car enthusiasts.

I'm already starting to get paranoid about where I'll be parking and everything that seems to go along with that, like obsessing over garage cleanliness and researching tools I'll need, service manuals, etc. 8^)

So, I submit to you the VIN in hopes that someone recognizes this car and can help ensure my dollars are going to one of the finer examples of these cars.

VIN: SCCFC20BXPHF60281

I'm definitely not considered to be one that gets emotional about much of anything, but I'm finding it difficult to contain myself knowing that I'm about to own a car that's literally been a life-long dream of mine. And it's awesome that it seems I've found a site where folks are as passionate as I am about these exquisite machines.

Thanks for any and all feedback and I hope you all are enjoying the weekend!

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
This car has been seen around here before. I can't remember the details. You might find the thread that was definitely on here with some searching.

I saw it on eBay a year ago, and it was there for a long time. Then I think it ended up somewhere like Tennessee for sale for a while.

Here's an ad I found from googling the VIN that has pics that I recognize from the old eBay ad:
1993 Used Lotus Esprit TURBO at Sports Car Company, Inc. Serving La Jolla, IID 8203649

Update: Found the thread: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/1993-black-93-5-tenessee-150441/

No conclusive evidence either way in this thread on the state of the car.

Seems like the guy you are buying the car from didn't like it too much if he's selling it after only a few months.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Should be able to find a 1994-1995 for close to that price with lower mileage

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
This car has been seen around here before. I can't remember the details. You might find the thread that was definitely on here with some searching.

I saw it on eBay a year ago, and it was there for a long time. Then I think it ended up somewhere like Tennessee for sale for a while.

Here's an ad I found from googling the VIN that has pics that I recognize from the old eBay ad:
1993 Used Lotus Esprit TURBO at Sports Car Company, Inc. Serving La Jolla, IID 8203649

Update: Found the thread: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/1993-black-93-5-tenessee-150441/

No conclusive evidence either way in this thread on the state of the car.

Seems like the guy you are buying the car from didn't like it too much if he's selling it after only a few months.
Thanks for digging up the links. I remember SCC's online ad from a year and a half-two years ago when I was looking. They were asking high 20's (maybe 29K) which is why it didn't sell for so long I assumed. His eBay bin was also high if I remember. Since you are close enough to check it out yourself, give it a close look, do all the things you should when test driving it etc. If there is someone in your area who can do a ppi and you are still interested in the car spend a couple hundred for it. A ppi will uncover at least enough that needs to be done to pay for itself and you can bargain down the price for the cost of repairs. And fwiw form an opinion about the seller as much as you will for the car. I've never been disappointed/surprised by a car I bought from a guy who seemed ok. Post an update.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would anyone happen to recommend a mechanic within a few hours of Red Bay, AL? I live around the Huntsville area, but wouldn't mind a little drive to get a PPI done.

I've formulated a checklist from all my years of wishing for the right one to come along, but if any of you want to throw one my way, I'm going to look at the car tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hey LotusespritSE what do you know about the wheels on these cars? All the ones I have seen here in the US are the "fake" replica wheels, however an old add for the 93 shows real 3 piece OZ wheels in the same style and we have a set of those in our shop that need refurbishing but are solid. They are the standard SE size.

The quote is from the 93 thread.

"The other thing I remember about the car on ebay is that it was missing the center caps on the rear wheels. This one has caps on the rear wheels, but you'll notice they are not the right caps on the rear. The correct caps that stick out are very hard to come by. It looks like they improvised with caps from another model."

Randy

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Hey LotusespritSE what do you know about the wheels on these cars? All the ones I have seen here in the US are the "fake" replica wheels, however an old add for the 93 shows real 3 piece OZ wheels in the same style and we have a set of those in our shop that need refurbishing but are solid. They are the standard SE size.

The quote is from the 93 thread.

"The other thing I remember about the car on ebay is that it was missing the center caps on the rear wheels. This one has caps on the rear wheels, but you'll notice they are not the right caps on the rear. The correct caps that stick out are very hard to come by. It looks like they improvised with caps from another model."

Randy

Randy, what is the specific question?

·
Registered
860 Posts
The wheels on the 93 and 93.5 Federal cars are Revolutions....and they weren't made by OZ. All the production cars had one piece revolution wheels in 15x7 and 16x8. They one 1-piece versions of the 3-piece x180r wheels. I don;t know who made the 3-piece wheels

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
MY favorite. newer interior with the classic exterior!!!! No goofy wing

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
The wheels on the 93 and 93.5 Federal cars are Revolutions....and they weren't made by OZ. All the production cars had one piece revolution wheels in 15x7 and 16x8. They one 1-piece versions of the 3-piece x180r wheels. I don;t know who made the 3-piece wheels
The X180-R 3 piece wheels are 16x8.5 and 16x9.5".

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yea, that car has def. been around here and on eBay recently enough. It looks great, the '93.5 is a terrific model. But I would certainly prod more about his reason for selling, because I don't buy the "have too many cars" BS. He must have just bought it, so there has to be a bigger reason he is selling...because he had too many cars when he bought it!

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Yea, that car has def. been around here and on eBay recently enough. It looks great, the '93.5 is a terrific model. But I would certainly prod more about his reason for selling, because I don't buy the "have too many cars" BS. He must have just bought it, so there has to be a bigger reason he is selling...because he had too many cars when he bought it!
And judging how the price keeps going down from $29K to $20K, he obviously didn't buy it to flip it for a profit.

I would worry there is something expensive hiding that needs repair in this car.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,095 Posts
" The correct caps that stick out are very hard to come by. It looks like they improvised with caps from another model."

Randy
I remember one Esprit owner that replaced the missing center-caps on those wheels with the caps from paint spray cans (rattle cans).

Bet even THOSE are hard to find, as spray-can caps have evolved over the years.

:panic:

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I remember one Esprit owner that replaced the missing center-caps on those wheels with the caps from paint spray cans (rattle cans).

Bet even THOSE are hard to find, as spray-can caps have evolved over the years.

:panic:
I remember that. Was kinda cheesy looking.

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
MY favorite. newer interior with the classic exterior!!!! No goofy wing
The Esprit's evolving wing provokes thumbs up & down, but a Stevens car doesn't have the "classic exterior." The S1 does. Of course you can like it over the original, just the way you can prefer one of the wings.

·
Registered
576 Posts
93 with 3 piece x180 replica wheels!

Guys! Check this out. Lotus imported the 93 with one piece Revolutions AND with 3 piece Modular Revolutions just like the X180r, but in the standard size.
And it turns out that we have a set that is solid , but need refurbishing.

I had wondered if these wheels were legit, and I found that I had an ad from Lotus USA that specs the 3 piece and has a picture of the car with them. However Lotus later/earlier put out an ad with the same picture but with a description of a one piece that we usually associate with the 93.

I wonder if anyone else has any info on these 3 piece wheels and how many cars actually were fitted with them.

1993 Lotus Esprit Turbo WT6349 | eBay! I found this on eBay and thought you might like it! Check it out now!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts