The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting things sorted, finally. High idle turned out to be a faulty TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). Thanks to Sanj for the ALDL and to the folks that created Freescan for displaying the CEL. Clutch bleed allows the car to go into gear now. Front tires replaced, rears on the way. Oil change done. Gearbox oil about to be done here shortly. Sloppy rear hood struts so those are also on the way.

Wondering if someone can link me to a resource that talks about the proper method for my year (unless it doesn't matter year to year) for flushing the coolant and recommendations on new caps. I believe mine is corroded because of how the lid acted when I went to slow unscrew it after having the car off for about 5 minutes.

Lastly, looking at the picture, I believe I'm right in saying that the canister is the fuel filter? If so, is there a part cross-referenced at Advanced or is it wise to purchase the OEM replacement from JAE or some place? I'm in the States so something local would be preferable.

Pics - Linuxslacker

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$10 for a rub. NOICE! j/k. Any chance someone has the part number? Lotus doesn't seem to be in O'Reilly's or Advanced Auto Part's database.

·
Super Moderator
4,042 Posts
Your picture shows a nice clean engine bay with an apparent label on the filter - you might use a small mirror to see the part number on the underside.

That way you know you have the exact part number (some of the online parts may be wrong - I ran into that with the power window motor parts).

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but where can I find (in case another part which would work from say Lowes or what not) the rubber things like pointed to in the below?

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,098 Posts

Awww, come on, Cal. Tell the rest of us! :eek:

I've replaced those Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers twice on my car over the years.

The first time (when I had just purchased my Esprit) I got 'em from a dealer. The parts counterman said they were the cheapest Lotus parts he had ever seen! rotfl

The second time I got them from one of the Usual Lotus Parts Suspects.:clap:

Don't forget there are two more of those rascals in the front trunk. And on cars newer than mine, the rear hatch bumpers might be the same.rotfl

(Ask for the Quantity Discount!)rotfl

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Awww, come on, Cal. Tell the rest of us! :eek:
I've replaced those Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers twice on my car over the years.

The first time (when I had just purchased my Esprit) I got 'em from a dealer. The parts counterman said they were the cheapest Lotus parts he had ever seen! rotfl

The second time I got them from one of the Usual Lotus Parts Suspects.:clap:

Don't forget there are two more of those rascals in the front trunk. And on cars newer than mine, the rear hatch bumpers might be the same.rotfl

(Ask for the Quantity Discount!)rotfl
Go to r.d. enterprises ltd. Home Page

Click
3rd Gen. Parts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry, I meant to say that the picture was off of Google Images. It ended up being brighter than my picture of my own engine and, for identification's sake, I thought it'd be easier to see. Mine needs to be painted.

Those of you with the 93 or Stevens re-design models, is there a resource you used to flush the coolant?

Also, just recently lost front and rear turn signals and reverse light. I've tried the hazard button trick, but apparently it's still being hateful. Am I looking at taking the front bumper off?

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Sorry, I meant to say that the picture was off of Google Images. It ended up being brighter than my picture of my own engine and, for identification's sake, I thought it'd be easier to see. Mine needs to be painted.

Those of you with the 93 or Stevens re-design models, is there a resource you used to flush the coolant?

Also, just recently lost front and rear turn signals and reverse light. I've tried the hazard button trick, but apparently it's still being hateful. Am I looking at taking the front bumper off?
Years ago when I had to power flush the coolant system I went to hardware store and got some PVC plumbing pipe and glue and made a garden hose adapter to clamp on to the disconnected coolant hose and reverse flushed it. I put the exit hose in a bucket to see what would come out. There was some bits and pieces in the flush. Do the chargecooler lines too. it will blow small chunks too. If you got a metal header tank CLR the rust out of it when disconnected from the system and rinse well before hooking it up.

Why are you going to take off the front bumper?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Years ago when I had to power flush the coolant system I went to hardware store and got some PVC plumbing pipe and glue and made a garden hose adapter to clamp on to the disconnected coolant hose and reverse flushed it. I put the exit hose in a bucket to see what would come out. There was some bits and pieces in the flush. Do the chargecooler lines too. it will blow small chunks too. If you got a metal header tank CLR the rust out of it when disconnected from the system and rinse well before hooking it up.

Why are you going to take off the front bumper?
As important as it is to flush the cooling system you must also check the air side of the radiator. Debris passes though the condenser coil and plugs up the fins of the radiator and you can't see it easily unless you take the cooing package apart. To properly flush the system you need to do it in pieces, ie, just the motor, just the heater core and just the radiator. On the motor you have to remove the thermostat to do it right (don't forget to put one back!). It is a lot of work. Many gas stations now have a special rig that recirculates cleaning fluid to flush the cooing system. You may want to let them do it.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,098 Posts
LM,

Do the turn-signal lamps come on at all, with the hazards?

Do the parking lamps work?

I assume the "Hazard switch trick" is to actuate the switch 12 to 15 times. I have been successful with this on others' cars. You GOTTA do it that many times.

I can determine if the backup lights are working by watching the voltmeter when I shift into reverse. It always "flicker" (voltage drops a little) when the BU lamps turn on..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only recently, both the reverse light and all four turn signal lights stopped working. I've tried the hazard light trick several times and nothing from the signals seems to start working. I'll have to double-check whether the parking lamps come on or not. Forgot to check that.

Ok, so I think the Express Oil Change I take the other car to has that recirculation system you're talking about. You think they'd be able to tackle the Lotus? Would you trust them with it?

I was reading from another thread within this forum that, in order to address the turn signals not working, one had to remove the front bumper to access the wires as they were apparently corroded or something. I've checked the fuses and they all seem to be good.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Only recently, both the reverse light and all four turn signal lights stopped working. I've tried the hazard light trick several times and nothing from the signals seems to start working. I'll have to double-check whether the parking lamps come on or not. Forgot to check that.

Ok, so I think the Express Oil Change I take the other car to has that recirculation system you're talking about. You think they'd be able to tackle the Lotus? Would you trust them with it?

I was reading from another thread within this forum that, in order to address the turn signals not working, one had to remove the front bumper to access the wires as they were apparently corroded or something. I've checked the fuses and they all seem to be good.
Don't take the car to the Express oil change. They can barely change oil and sometimes they even screw that up. Changing oil is much simpler and if you don't trust them with that then would you trust them flush and bleed the coolant system?

I would take lenses off and probe with a multimeter or simple light up 12v circuit tester first before taking off the bumper as a last resort. Do a quick check to see if other electricals are working. Stereo, headlights, wipers, etc. If one or more is not working could be the the start up relay is stuck. That is a prime suspect if things stopped working right after a start up. Also check modular plug and ground connections if you were rooting around the harness.

I wish you were closer and I could put a toner at the switch and follow the signal along the wire path. Or ping the line with a TDR.

At this point I would think mod plug, relay, or ground point. Unless of course all bulbs went out which would be rare. But some guy with a V8 recently had all headlights burn out. Weird stuff or what. I knew one guy that was flexing an old harness and cracked the insulation off the wires creating a short and never saw it in the bundle or wires. It was a head scratcher of weeks.

Good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts