The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock fuel pump in my 93 Esprit that starts to whine and howl once I've been driving for about 15 minutes of more. I have a feeling that the pump is on the way out.
I already changed the fuel filter and checked fuel pressure. everything seems fine with the pressure.

In other cars, I have had great success with the Walbro GSS342 intank pump (255 lph). I have had the walbro last over 70,000 miles in my twin turbo G35 and it's been perfect. The pumps are designed for higher fuel pressures and can sustain their output well at higher pressures, like those seen in forced induction setups (with rising rate fuel pressure regulators...like the Esprit)

I know that the 255lph pump is rather large for the power that the esprit makes. Walbro also makes several 190 lph intank pumps, too.

Has anyone used a Walbro in their or SE or S4? Anyone have a part number? I have read that the stock fuel pump cross references with a late 80s/early 90s camaro/firebird. There is a Walbro replacement unit for those cars. I just don't want to buy the pump and then have it not fit.

Any advice is always appreciated.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Does your car have the dual pumps like the Bosch injected ones? I just replaced one of my pumps last night with another factory Bosch replacement. They are definitely bigger than the GSS342's, which in my experience have been pretty loud themselves. I don't think you'd have a problem with a higher output fuel pump as long as the factory regulator could keep the base pressure at idle. Getting one with the correct fittings for the Lotus might be a challenge though. FWIW, the factory replacement pumps aren't expensive, mine was $160 shipped.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I couldn't find any specs on it either, but it definitely works with full boost on my car. Changing to this pump instantly solved my boost cut lean condition.

It is made for a 5.7L Corvette motor...

It also comes with the correct o-ring for the Esprit fuel tank. And it included a submersible grade rubber hose to replace the GM pulsation damper that can cause pressure drop at high boost. Get rid of that btw!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff at JAE also said to get rid of the pulse dampner too.

Do you recall it if comes with a new "sock" filter for the inlet of the tank?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts