The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, one more thing..

Got stereo put back in, etc., etc.

When turn the fan knob and with AC control knob full clockwise, when turn fan knob to first click (lowest speed) the AC compressor clicks on and the radiator fans can be heard turning on. BUT if turn fan speed up any higher than the first click I can hear the AC compressor click off and the radiator fans turn off.

This is all while sitting still in garage...

I am still concerned that the three wires connected to fan control nob at bottom are not plugged in to their correct spots on the fan speed control knob and this is causing this oddity.

If anyone with a same model/same features, as mine could do the following and report back I would greatly appreciate it

With key in and turned fully but engine not on, turn fan control knob to first click, turn AC control to full clockwise.

Hear radiator fans turn on?

Next, turn engine on and turn fan control knob to OFF
Turn fan speed control knob to first click, hear AC compressor kick in? It is a slight clicking sound and should hear radiator fans in front turn on as well

Turn fan speed control knob to second click, AC compressor and radiator fans still on?

repeat for other fan speed control clicks clock wise..

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody??

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Kenny,

Can't help with your test request as I don't have a car at the moment but do you have the Service Notes with the wiring diagram for the fan switch?

I do believe that could be your problem. And I don't think the fans will run just because the ac switch is on if the engine is not running but not 100% sure.

Jim

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, have notes, found them in the diagrams

Yes but cannot tell what color wires they are referring to for the 5 connections. Wiring notes/diagram says

GU
GS
GY
YLG
and
LGU

assuming those are related to wire colors but cannot find key for the above.

With key in on position but engine not started and AC temp control knob at full clockwise, turning the fan speed control does make the radiator fans turn on BUT in my situation only for the FIRST fan speed (lowest). I drove it today and it is the same when driving too, i.e. no AC compressor or radiator fans at any HVAC fan speed above the first / slowest one.

This is why I beleive that the 5 wires which connect to the fan speed control knob I reconnected wrong.....

Anyone know the code for the above wire colors?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a scan of the page from the manual with the fan speed control knob.

What I am needing to know is either

A. Where in the bloody h**** in the manual is the key for colored wires or

B. someone throw me a bone and let me know what wire colors correspond to:

GU
GS
GY
YLG
and
LGU

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Wire codes are in appendix 1 which is located between the circuit diagrams for the Early Cars and Revised Harness Cars

GU Green/Blue
GS Green/Slate
GY Green/Yellow
YLG Yellow/Light Green
LGU Light Green/Blue

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS!!!!!!

:coolnana: :coolnana: :coolnana: :coolnana:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Man this is what I am talking about. You guys are all willing to help out another Esprit owner at the drop of a hat. Awesome! Lord knows I need all the help I can get!:facepalm

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're welcome
Now go swap the wires around and let us know if it works...:D
Going to do this afternoon and will post back status then...

Yeah, only having slowest fan speed and AC in Dallas aint gonna cut it!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOO HOO! Houston , we have AC IN ALL FAN SPEEDS!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts