The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
looks like this one has been through a fire, some pretty toasted areas on some of those items ;)
Curiously, the roof panel and rear wheel show burn marks. But the engine (on a crate) shows very little fire damage; likewise for the separated transmission. Seems to be a 'minor' fire. The rear suspension links look awful, but still useable.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I would like a list of all the reasons a fire has trashed an Esprit so I can make sure that it doesn't happen to mine.

Wonder what it would take install a fire extingusher in the trunk that feeds tubes that go around the engine bay with a trigger in the cabin to set it off? Seems like that could be pretty easy to create.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would like a list of all the reasons a fire has trashed an Esprit so I can make sure that it doesn't happen to mine.

Wonder what it would take install a fire extingusher in the trunk that feeds tubes that go around the engine bay with a trigger in the cabin to set it off? Seems like that could be pretty easy to create.
genius!
when you come up with some plans or something, start a new thread, im sure it would gain some interest here! Im definitely wanting something like that!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
There's a plethora of fire suppression systems available, just do an internet search and write the check...

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
There's a plethora of fire suppression systems available, just do an internet search and write the check...
The man is correct. Not really that expensive for the level of insurance. Should be easy to install. Maybe have the pull handle tucked by the driver's seat near the door?

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I agree with Phil, it would be a great resource to have a list is what has actually caused fires, what model years are affected, so we could change the components to something better.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Hi

Part of the problem is the heat from turbo. Any flammable liquids hit the turbo and they will ignite.
From what I have read, it's the same issue with the cats getting super heated from rich conditions (especially if you flooded it during start up for the older cars). Also, they say the charcoal canister for the fuel tank venting is not well designed and can cause fires.

·
Registered
860 Posts
From what I have read, it's the same issue with the cats getting super heated from rich conditions (especially if you flooded it during start up for the older cars). Also, they say the charcoal canister for the fuel tank venting is not well designed and can cause fires.
I can see the charcoal canister being more of an issue than the turbo or cat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts