The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing all the brake pads on my 98 V8.
Are there many options for these pads, or am I stuck ordering from the usual Lotus outlets?
Any ideas on current costs for the pads?
Thanks in advance.
Adam

Wingless Wonder
You need to decide your specs (street use or track day?)
A track compound ain't gonna stop until warmed up on those cold mornings. 馃槺 We know of a couple V8 owners who found that out the hard way. o_O

Be prepared to answer the question "Brembo or AP Racing brakes?"

Are you thinking of upgrading (rotors too)? There have been many Topics here over the years...don't know up-to-date availability.

I'd ask at JAE first, support our vendors who go to (sometimes) great lengths to source parts for us. Then PMR or the like.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response Mr CB.
I'm assuming I have Brembo's all round. The rears do not have the Brembo logo on them, but I'll assume they are the same as the fronts which do have the logo.
I'll call JAE and have a chat with them after Thanksgiving.
Cheers
Adam

Wingless Wonder
The rears do not have the Brembo logo on them, but I'll assume they are the same as the fronts which do have the logo.
That configuration is: Brembo F, Renault LeCar (!!!) in back. (Just the LeCar shape, actually) :p

Registered
Actually it's Brembo front and rear. All cars since the '95 S4 have Brembo rears, AP fronts came along with the '99 Sport 350 (only), then the 2000 for the rest of the V8s.

Wingless Wonder
EBC Yellow are the pads that JAE sold us last time for our '88 with TMC (Toyota) brakes.馃憤

Registered
If you have good initial bite when cold they're probably not the Reds - those are presumably for racing and would need a little heat to work properly.

Registered
Regarding the original question, I find topbrakes.com to have good selection and pricing for brake pads. They have good selection for both the AP and Brembo Esprit brakes.

Selection of compound is highly dependent on driver preference and there isn't a single best answer. I have tried a really broad range of compounds (you can find an old thread where I go through a range of pads if you search on my username) and have settled on what I find performs well on both street and track. The notion that track/race pads are ineffective at cold temperatures is a generalization that does not apply to all compounds. I'd have to check to make sure, but I believe I'm currently using the Raybestos ST43 compound. Almost bites a little too hard for street use with cold brakes, but gives very positive braking that holds up to rigorous driving.

Correction: It's possible I'm running PFC97 compound. I'm going to have to go check now to make sure. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts