The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Car Adicted
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am just beginning to check into a "No Start" problem with my 98 V8. I keep the battery on a tender and it has always been slow to turn over Hot or Cold, but then fires right up. In the last year I have replaced plugs, fuel and air filters, changed oil and filter, just recently had my radiator re cored to a 3 row radiator and have also replaced coils and wires and also injectors......with everyone's help here and many beers. Last time out when I stopped for gas it would start. Just a click, nio turn over. I gave two guys $10 bucks to push me and it started immediately. I tried the other day to start it and when I turn on the key all is normal with fuel pumps etc. but when you turn key to start it just a click and that is it. I took the battery out and charged it overnight and tested it with a load tester and all was fine. I figured it was a connection / grounding issue. I replaced the positive and negative cable ends where they attach to the battery and made sure the battery posts were clean etc. All battery connections are now clean and tight. No difference in what happens, once I try to start it just a click. I haven't looked at the grounding cables on engine etc yet. I haven't looked at the starter either. I know many many people smarter than I on here, so thought I would post for some help. I do have the digital WSM for the car which I need to look at. Also, there was a round plastic disk back behind the battery with a wire going to it, The disk is flat and about 4 inches in diameter??? Thanks in Advance for any input. Mark Seifert

·
Registered
791 Posts
This might be an opportunity to upgrade to a light weight high torque starter from PNM :)
JAE may have them too.

I would (carefully) run 12v directly to starter and see if it spins.

Other will chime in with V8 specific experience. Other related possibilities I have read about:
  • Ignition switch may have some issues.
  • Relay? might try thumping it with finger (works all the time on my 94 for the head lights).

·
Car Adicted
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think maybe I will try the relay. A few months ago I did have to replace........not related ....all the window relays in both doors as the windows were not operating and it definitely cured the problem. Ya know the relays are old......like me and maybe just a bit tired. Thanks for the idea. I think I might also re arrange some cars around as I have a 4 post lift that maybe I can roll start the car in reverse out of the garage and then put it on the lift??? If not then I got an issue cause even at 3000 lbs pretty hard to push!!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yeah I Think old relays are kind of a wear item

as long as you can find a quality replacement

nothing worse than replacing old working electrical part with new crap that works twice and burns

kind of like millenials replacing us 😬

·
Car Adicted
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thumping did not help. I think I will hit NAPA and see about getting a few replacement relays and see if any difference. Cheap fix and easy enough. Looks like a somewhat generic 5 pin relay. Bosch 0332209159 is what I pulled out. Lotus PN B082M6182F. Looks like what they used for all the relays in the back of the car by battery fuse black, I could switch some out, but you know hate disturbing stuff. I think I will replace both Starter relay and the ignition relay.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
My guess is relays or the starter itself. Start with the relays. They are cheaper and easier to replace. Can also be a problem in the immobilizer circuit to the starter. The immobilizer interrupts the starter circuit AND the ignition circuit. A good way to test that is to just jump it out and see if you continue to have the problem.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
249 Posts
Also make sure the starter itself isn't binding. Sometimes a loose bolt can allow the motor to shift and bind causing slow or no cranking.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went through the same routine with mine a few years ago, and a new starter fixed the problem. I've been using the JAE starter since then without issue.

If you think its the relay, just swap it with a known-good one from another circuit, so long as you verify it is the same part number (like, don't try to use some of the special relays from the front block) - or manually jump the relay- but you must make sure the car is in neutral!! If you have a helper, you can also have someone turn the key to the start position while you put your hand on the relay. If you feel it click, it's not the ignition switch.

If you are hearing the "click", but no start, it's probably the starter over some of the other possibilities.

Jake

·
Car Adicted
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Immobilizer was bypassed when I bought the car. They did a bad job and it stranded me.....luckily in my driveway. I took it to a local guy when I couldn't figure it out. He took it as a personal challenge and I gave him the WSM and he went through all the wiring and sure enough he figured it was probably the Immobilizer and he found where they had jumper-ed some wires and done it poorly. He fixed it correctly and no issues with it since. I am thinking the relay or starter. I was able to get 2 relays locally and was going to replace the starter relay and the ignition relay. I do have a local place that rebuilds starters and alternators or those type of motors and they are very quick and very reasonable. If anyone would need that service I could help them with it. I am located outside Baltimore.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Now that you mentioned the immobilizer has been bypassed, it can't hurt to check it and make sure. If it won't crank I wouldn't fuss with the ignition relay, only the starter relay. It would help to know what you hear clicking. Possible the starter solenoid is bad, the starter relay, the starter itself, or some wiring connection in between.
David Teitelbaum

·
Car Adicted
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
David I agree, I know the relays are a long shot. The click it one big click like you would get if the terminals were loose on a battery. Definitely coming from in the back. I should really have the Mrs. turn the key, while I listen in the back to see exactly where the click is coming from.She is too busy looking at make up stuff and decorating on U-Tube!!!!

·
Car Adicted
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I replaced both the starter relay and the ignition relay with 2 new ones........at least NAPA made some money!!! No difference just a loud click emanating from the back. This time I turned my head while I tried to start the car, so I could try to locate the click and it did sound like the center of the motor best I can tell without help. Starting to look like a plenum removal, which I have done before. Not an expert by any means, but feel like I can do it. Anything else under plenum that should be replaced since it looks like it will be coming off? When I had it off before I replaced coils, wires, thermostat and I think another sensor. What about the blue hoses etc.? Thanks Mark Seifert

·
Car Adicted
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Under the plenum in the middle at the back of the motor. I have some pictures from
20170402_161502.jpg
when I had the plenum off before to do injectors etc. It is a pretty good amount of work. The real issue or PIA is that there are some connections on the bottom of the plenum that are hard to get to. Need small hands etc. and lots of patience.

·
Car Adicted
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The more I look at the old pictures from 3 years ago it looks tired......just like me and maybe I should have had it rebuilt at that point!!!!

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,837 Posts
maybe I should have had it rebuilt at that point!!!!
Shipwright's Disease!

Goes something like this:

Sailor owns boat.
Boat has burned out light in galley.
Sailor decides to change bulb.
Sailor notices socket is corroded, decides to change socket.
Sailor notices wiring frayed while trying to change socket.
Sailor decides to change wiring.
Sailor notices galley ceiling slats are rotted while changing the wire.
Sailor decides galley ceiling slats need changing.
Sailor notices ...

this goes on and on and on and on and pretty soon, Sailor is undertaking a
major renovation of his boat because of a burned out lightbulb.

Be careful out there.

·
Car Adicted
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
David I agree.

I am afraid to change it.....Atwell knows it will lead to many other fixes......maybe I should always look for a hill to park on!!!

This sailor will fix it.

Atwell you can help me from 6 feet away. You can drink the beers till I am done or better yet I can drink the beers till you are finished on my car!!!!

Thanks Mark SDeifert

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Atwell doesn't have a lot of experience on V-8's (unless you count removing the wings!) . You might as well try yourself. Getting the plenum off is the hard part. Once you get it off, getting the starter out is easy. Just make sure you disconnect the battery. As for "Shipwright's Disease", Once you change the starter and get the plenum back on, that should end it.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 20 of 38 Posts