The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
99 lotus esprit v8.7k The promblem I am having with car.Have a battery cut off when not using car sometimes I have to jump start .When talking car out for a joy ride i get 15 minutes of driving I get some back firing from exhaust then wants to shut down like it's not getting any gas it does stall and wont start untill I jump it again will runn for a bit then shut down .Has any one experienced this problem if so please help also comes up with check engine light on codep1308 which indicates spark plugs or ignition coil or wires I have not checked any of it as of yet because it seems odd to me that the car will just shut down like not getting any gas please help asap

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,843 Posts
WELCOME to LotusTalk.

@oldmansan or @sleekgt could you move this Topic to the Esprit section?

That P1308 code indicates an issue with the chassis accelerator sensor (AKA Rough Road Sensor, item 5 sheet 17.06 of the V8 parts manual)...a malfunction would cause the engine ECU to cut back on ignition timing and put the car into Limp Mode. I THINK it is mounted on the frame near the right rear axle, check for wiring damage or corrosion.

P1308 Description The Chassis acceleration(Rough Road) sensor consists of a piezoelectric vibration pick up which detects vertical acceleration of the vehicle.The sensor signal is used by the Engine Control Module (ECM) to determine the degree of vertical movement of the car, for example, on a bumpy road.Since this may also cause uneven engine running, the ECM uses the signal to distinguish the phenomenon from actual misfiring.

Read more: P1308 - Acceleration Sensor Circuit Low Input
Also, you might want to replace your battery as a first step. It should maintain a charge if you have a battery kill switch.

A better strategy than a disconnect on modern cars is to buy a high quality battery maintainer like a CTEK. That way your ECU won't need to re-learn its running parameters each trip.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
WELCOME to LotusTalk.

@oldmansan or @sleekgt could you move this Topic to the Esprit section?

That P1308 code indicates an issue with the chassis accelerator sensor (AKA Rough Road Sensor, item 5 sheet 17.06 of the V8 parts manual)...a malfunction would cause the engine ECU to cut back on ignition timing and put the car into Limp Mode. I THINK it is mounted on the frame near the right rear axle, check for wiring damage or corrosion.

Also, you might want to replace your battery as a first step. It should maintain a charge if you have a battery kill switch.

A better strategy than a disconnect on modern cars is to buy a high quality battery maintainer like a CTEK. That way your ECU won't need to re-learn its running parameters each trip.
Done. Also, he had started a new thread with the following:

Lokai, I gave wrong code on my promblem p1301 help
I closed that thread. Let me know if you need anything else.

San

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
First step, remove the battery master switch. Second step, if the battery is 5 years old or older replace it. If it is not 5 years old or older have it fully charged and load tested. Replace it if it tests bad. Now turn your attention to the charging system. Have it tested. Make sure the warning light works. See if there is any black, sticky goo dripping out of the alternator. Make sure the alternator can output it's full rated current and maintains the correct system voltage under load. If you do not use the car regularly you must use a battery tender for at least 1 day every 2 weeks to keep the battery fully charged. If you still have the stalling problems and error codes it is time to do a tune-up. A low voltage condition can cause misfires. Rule that out and then it can be other causes. Do not use a master switch. The ECU must have continuous power to hold up the memory and the readiness monitors. If you remove power it must relearn and reset every time you drive. Till it does, it won't drive well. My guess is your battery was very low so you jumped it to get it started. Once you got it running it barely had enough to run. For some reason the charging system isn't working and once the battery got too low the motor started to quit.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with Atwell and David. To add to what they said:

• It's really easy to access the rough road sensor and its wiring if you remove the trunk floor.
  • If you disconnect the battery on a V8, it's much easier to drive if you let it idle per the manual's instructions. Usually a couple of fan cycles with no A/C and a couple of fan cycles with A/C before you take it out will make a big difference. Mine is almost undrivable without the fuel trim mappings learned because it wants to die every time you lift off the throttle. As the other's stated, just leave it on a tender when you aren't driving it instead of disconnecting the battery.
  • It sounds like you need a good battery before trying to troubleshoot anything else.
Jake

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
If you pull off the right rear wheel you will see the rough road sensor right in front of you. It's purpose is to tell the ECU if the frame gets any vibrations so it won't do anything if the knock sensor on the motor also gets the same vibration at the same time. Otherwise the knock sensor will make the ECU retard the timing or think there is a misfire. Make sure you have the proper air pressure in your tires, the knock sensor is securely mounted and the plug is fully seated into the sensor. Rare for the sensor to go bad, more likely a wiring or connector problem.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,843 Posts
If you pull off the right rear wheel you will see the rough road sensor right in front of you.
? Thanks David, of course the parts diagram I referenced shows the sensor 'floating in space'. ?

Also, note that the coolant overflow reservoir is there, in the RR wheel-well, too! SO MANY Esprit V8 owners don't realize where it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts