The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pretty horrific end over end caught by G's on board in his Cayman S.
Keep an eye on the left side of the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nULN9izjoSI

Word is:

one of the driver's friends said:
Car put outside wheel off before turning into Ricochet, overcorrected, car snapped across track to pre-apex berm, caught tire, flipped.

Car had roll bar/seats/harnesses. These saved 2 lives IMO.
Two occupants and both are reported to be OK.

eta: initially thought it was G that caught it on video but now realize it was another driver.

·
Registered
624 Posts
wow. Glad they can walk away from that

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've done all sorts of questionable driving moves at Cresson and been in the grass many places and I've always been happy there was nothing to hit but that looks pretty damn scary. I might have to reconsider my general reckless abandon. I always thought the back side (new part) was ripe for this kind of thing. Glad they are OK.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any word on the reason? That was pretty bad. When it goes airborne, its serious!
Just what's there. On the 3.1, Ricochet is after a long uphill climb that's relatively straight, but in an HP car, will certainly give you more speed than can be carried through the turn. Only reason I can think of for a wheel to drop off on entry would be if the car was really dancing around on the brakes. (Not sure how hard the GT3s have to brake there.)

I'm being told it was one of the Ruf cars - don't know for certain.

I've been shot off to the inside of the same turn at "stupid speed" and gone backwards long enough sigh and think "this is it" - I see the paint damage on my car from that spin every time I get in.

I've done all sorts of questionable driving moves at Cresson and been in the grass many places and I've always been happy there was nothing to hit but that looks pretty damn scary. I might have to reconsider my general reckless abandon. I always thought the back side (new part) was ripe for this kind of thing. Glad they are OK.
+1
I can get pretty silly on the old section but have already seen some really nasty stuff on the new section. There are areas on the new section where I don't push as hard and the improvements come much slower.

Supposedly Jack made some curbing improvements on the old section recently (in the past few weeks) to better match what's on the new section and alleviate some erosion.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
almost as bad as the M3 crash couple years ago

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Maybe not as much to hit, but still plenty of landmines out there in the infield(ravines..gullies.etc).

Youtube blocked at work, will take a look at home.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Youtube blocked at work, will take a look at home.
Hope this helps...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nULN9izjoSI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nULN9izjoSI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
WOW thats the same turn I spun in about 3-4 weeks ago.. Went off backwards at 85mph. I did notice a nice gully there when driving back on track.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fourthhand word is:

Driver missed the braking zone before Ricochet, put two wheels off, tried to save it, over-corrected, went across track, jumped the apex curbing, and landed nose-first. The rest is physics.

Both people in the car are OK.
:up:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where did they put 2 off...before the turn or after...i'm only asking cause richochet is insane...you go in way faster than you brain wants you to...and if you do blow it you just slide forever...did they try and go wide early then hit richochet's curbing? man that looked nasty...i will definitly make me respect that a bit more

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where did they put 2 off...before the turn or after...i'm only asking cause richochet is insane...you go in way faster than you brain wants you to...and if you do blow it you just slide forever...did they try and go wide early then hit richochet's curbing? man that looked nasty...i will definitly make me respect that a bit more
Word is before.

I can't see how two off on exit would get you to the apex curbing (I can see off on the inside, but only past the curbing in that case).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a race there March 15'th...our director was telling us that they had plans to put in some aprons like they did at MSR-Houston...with rumble strips so they can't be used to benefit you...wonder if this is one of the areas of concern?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a race there March 15'th...our director was telling us that they had plans to put in some aprons like they did at MSR-Houston...with rumble strips so they can't be used to benefit you...wonder if this is one of the areas of concern?
I'm told that the concrete work has already been done (very quickly as well) though I haven't been out in a few weeks to see firsthand. Not sure if it included Ricochet too though.

The idea was to extend the curbs with aprons or something along those lines - supposed to match up better with what was done on the 1.3 (new section).
:shrug:

Either way, it would appear that the higher, older curbs are still in place. Can't see how things could go skyward without them and I've had cars up on two wheels when misjudging and banging over them.
:eek:

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
err... was it just edited? I only see footage leading up to the crash, but no crash. The video I see either on youtube or linked here is 8 seconds long. is it different for anyone else? :shrug:

edit.. nevermind... I see it's the other car.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
err... was it just edited? I only see footage leading up to the crash, but no crash. The video I see either on youtube or linked here is 8 seconds long. is it different for anyone else? :shrug:
look on the other side of the track...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts