The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I know I'm asking a biased crowd but I would like your input. I'm looking to add a car to the stable primarily for track use. I have other cars so street use will be minimal. I'm considering a 996 GT3 or a Exige 240S. Based in my current thinking, I want a car that I can drive to the track... Here's my thinking...

I'm primarily a Porsche guy. I have 3 now and prefer them for street cars. I've only tracked one of my P cars and it was fun but I have a hard time trashing a P car...

The GT3 is a great car but it still is pretty heavy. That means that it's going to chew up tires and brakes faster than the Exige imo and maintenance costs are going to be higher.

Love the looks of the Exige and I already own a 996 cab and a 996TT.

The Exige seems to be a great car for track use. I have not tracked the new Exige but owned an S1 Exige for several years and ran the piss out of it. It was a great car to track, the most fun I have had at the track.

The Exige is cheaper, by $15K to $20K. (I'm comparing a 1K mile Exige 240s to a 4K mile 05 996 GT3.

With the Exige, I would just put in belts (5 pt) and go. I might do some suspension upgrades but that's it.

With the GT3 I'd have to add a 1/2 cage and GT3 seats. I might do suspension and gears (3rd - 5th). As is typical with P cars, that's going to be $7K-$10K on top of the purchase price (and that's assuming that I don't put MPSC's on it....)

With the P, I can do club racing. With the Lotus, I'm limited to track days unless the Lotus race series gains momentum in the Midwest or on the east coast (the car would be in Milwaukee).

Thoughts??

Thanks!
Roy

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
If cost is a concern, the Exige is your best bet, IMO.

If cost is not too much of a concern, and with your current car collection, it probably doesn't need to be, then it is up to skill level, IMO.

SOunds like you have been around the tracka bit. If you think you can handle the GT3 safely, That's the direction I'd go. If you're not ready, then the Lotus is the answer IMO.

I am on my 2nd Lotus and track the snot out of it. I go through rears ($200+ a piece) about every 5000 miles (during which I get about 10 track days). Other than that, the maintenance is minimal for a track car and I pile on the preventative mainentance, which you can see in another thread I posted.

HTH

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
For track only, you want the Exige. Just a better track car when all is considered. You really can beat the living crap out of them and they'll take it like a champ.

You've got a power train designed for a 3200 lb car in a 1950 pound car. The low weight makes everything last longer.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks for everyones feedback. I'll post pics when I pick up a car.

Thanks again.
Roy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts