The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few people considering switching from a 997 to an Evora, so I thought I would provide early impressions of the main difference. (I recently made the switch from an 06 997 C4CAB to an MY12 Evora IPS.)

Comfort
features wise, the 997 wins, but somehow, the minimally adjustable seats in the Evora are simply more comfortable. More legroom for tall drivers, more headroom for tall drivers. I'm 6 foot 3, and find the Evora waaaay roomier.

Engine
I had an 06 997c4cab, which is about as slow as a Carrera gets. My Evora is an NA IPS, and although I was bracing for the drop in power to bother me, it really hasn't. Part of the reason is that due to the gearing ratio, coupled with the lower noise output, I am for more comfortable & likely to drive the Evora at substantially higher RPM. Once the revs are up there (3500-4000), it becomes responsive. Obviously over the full rev range, or on a race track the difference would be substantial, but for around town where you would likely want to instantly add 15kph instead of adding 75kph, the difference is hardly noticeable.

Durability
While I can't actually gauge the real durability of these vehicles, I always felt very confident in the 'toughness' of the 997. I realize that the stiffness etc of the Evora is technically superior especially vs the cabriolet, but it doesn't feel that way. I know this might be a bit of a contentious point, but stresseslike winter driving, rough roads, long trips, track days, all scare me more in the Evora, and they never did in the 997.

Practicality
The 997 is *way* more practical. The three biggest differences are the visibility (particularly rear visiblity), the turning radius, and the storage (in all capacities). Glovebox, Cupholders, rear seats, door pockets, and trunk are all substantially larger in the 997, and this becomes very obvious owning them back to back. It's not that there aren't work arounds, but I never thought twice about picking up groceries in the 997, but I do in the Evora.

Transmission
The mechanical aesthetic of the 997 gearbox is second to none. It feels amazing, and rewards the driver for perfect timing like no other. I never felt that way in my test drives of the Evora (my11, and my12), and ended up going for an IPS.

Steering
The steering & feedback in the Evora is a little better than the 997, and a lot better than the 991. What the Evora loses to the 997 in the transmission it gains in steering feedback alone.

Suspension
This one is another big win for the Evora. Most sports cars counter body role primarily by stiff springs & reduced travel. Somehow, it feels like the Evora is relying on something else, as it is able to stay flat while absorbing bumps from really crappy roads. I spent a lot of time driving on rough roads, and I can't emphasize this advantage enough!

Wow Factor
I live in Toronto, which from what I can tell, has more porsches per capita than just about any city on earth. A porsche gets little to no attention what so ever. The Evora gets A LOT of attention, certainly more than I would like. (I don't really like attention though, which probably puts me in the minority?).

Actual Performance
I haven't taken the Evora to the edge in any meaningful way, but I suspect the Carrera would win this one hands down based on engine & brakes alone. However, the increased feedback in the Evora might enable the driver to learn faster and get more out of the car, so who knows... There aren't that many drivers out there that can consistently hold any of these cars near their limits, so the importance of good road feedback might be VERY substantial for most of us. (certainly me!)

Hope this helps!

Aaron

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Interesting real world info-not so much about the performance aspect as the livability/quirks aspect which is nice to see.

Interesting note on the braking too, since in most instrumented tests (I checked a couple different magazines) the Evora and 997 Carrera (S is what I kept finding) their 70-0 and 60-0 braking were almost identical, and subjectively both got similarly high marks/comments.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting real world info-not so much about the performance aspect as the livability/quirks aspect which is nice to see.

Interesting note on the braking too, since in most instrumented tests (I checked a couple different magazines) the Evora and 997 Carrera (S is what I kept finding) their 70-0 and 60-0 braking were almost identical, and subjectively both got similarly high marks/comments.
That wouldn't actually surprise me... the brakes on my Evora are still relatively new, and squeaky, so it's likely more of a perception issue than a reality. Most of the differences that I've identified are perception / gut feel rather than objective measurement.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
At track day 1 with stock pads, I was shocked at the whoa factor of the Evora comparing it to my Elise with DTC30s all around. It was the first aspect of the Evora I got that "OK I got it" feeling about.

Great comparo and, frankly, sounds very spot on. I have always admired Porsche for their toughness on the track and street durability.

The big Evora shocker is how does this thing absorb the ugliness underneath without EVER breaking a sweat? Scary smooth at the track.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Nice write up.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
That wouldn't actually surprise me... the brakes on my Evora are still relatively new, and squeaky, so it's likely more of a perception issue than a reality. Most of the differences that I've identified are perception / gut feel rather than objective measurement.

Mine squeal like a banshee 3k miles in...sadly.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Great write up!

Thanks for the comprehensive review. I find myself deciding on either an Evora or '09 997. I honestly keep going back and forth.

The biggest thing for me is shortly after purchasing it, I'll be making a 7000 mile round trip within a month across country and back. For that reason alone, I'm hesitant to buy the Evora, simply due to reliability. I'd be much more comfortable taking a Porsche across country like that. But I think I want the Evora more!

Thoughts?!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure there will be people here that would disagree, but for a journey like that, the 997 would be my choice. The other option would be to buy a used 997, do the cross-country tour, then trade it in for an Evora?

·
Registered
9 Posts
i just returned from a 6000 mile road trip from L.A to vancouver, up to Jasper, banff and then down to the US and back home to NY. I did it in my 997 and it was amazing. I think the evora would be just as good and would hold more luggage. My front trunk would hold my girlfriends suitcase and some laundry and I would put my duffel in the backseats. I found myself stuffing all of the luggage in the 997's rear seats because all the weight over the front wheels would mess up the steering feel. The Evoras trunk and rear seats may give you even more cargo room. The only issue I see with the Evora is the lack of power outlets and no cup holder! The IPS seems more reliable then the manual due to some of the threads ive been reading. Regardless enjoy the trip and do it in the car you will want to remember it in.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I have driven my Evora from OKC to Dallas multiple times and have loved it every time - no worries in any direction. The latest one was with my loud exhaust and even with that I had no issues while cruising.

My 911 Targa was a wind noise generator - that was it's only detraction. I loved it but the emotional feeling while driving this car are what make it better for me than the 911's.

I wouldn't mind having both though. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
evora has better looks, handling in turns, and is more comfortable, Porsche wins every where else

build quality
fit and finish
less problems
better electronics
better warranty and less hassles
more dealers with loaner cars
not to mention that the Porsche comes in a protective plastic sheeting on the body panels and wheels where the Lotus just seems to show up, already screwed up from the port:) ... sorry telling it like it is. Lotus is one step above a kit car that seems it is put together by people who really dont care or take pride... or maybe they do and are just handed a bunch of crap parts that don't fit correctly

i still love the Evora and would prefer it over a base 997 (unless a cab) as the 997 still looks like it is trapped in the 70's. I have a turbo S next to me, and it is hard to argue with that car, especially the 0-60 in 2.7 seconds....

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Well, from a salespersons point of view...I've been selling cars for nearly 20 years now with the bulk of it between BMW, Porsche and Lotus. Porsche is a great car and lets be honest here, this is the market that Lotus is aiming for and while Lotus will NEVER make a dent in their sales, I've been seeing clients make the switch from Porsche which they've owned for 10+ years to the Evora, particularly the 2012 IPS. The biggest compliments are the styling, uniqueness of it and probably the more telling signs are the handling and overall feel of the vehicle. Some are familiar with the forums which you can tell when they mention the little problems they've read, no doubt pertaining to 2010/2011 models but insistent on a 2012.

I recently sold a 2012 demo of ours which was an IPS and the couple were of professional careers..one a doctor and the other a lawyer and both have owned MBZ & Porsche but wanted something that wasn't a dime a dozen type vehicle. This demo, I personally put about 1500 miles and drove it for 2.5 hours straight with pure delight to the first Lotus Cup series at Chuckwalla where some of the participants were amazed with it. Needless to say, the new owners absolutely loved their new car and I received an email from the owner stating how happy she and her husband are with their new Lotus.

To the purist, the Evora still holds true to Chapman's philosophy...Chapman never said how light it had to be but only that it had to be light and to its competitors, it's just that. Just like the Elise/Exige will some day, I'm positive that the Evora will go down as one of the best sports cars in history...has absolutely nothing to do with price or HP but the overall handling, braking, steering and looks of he vehicles. I'm proud to be "still" representing Lotus after so many years and I'm confident that Lotus will have a place in history with it's current models. Time will only tell what the future has in store for Lotus and I plan on sticking around... ;)

Best regards,
Abe :)

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Mine squeal like a banshee 3k miles in...sadly.

You're babying them too much. Not that I care but when mine start to talk, its because I've been trolling around town. Some nice late braking on an exit ramp cleans them up everytime. I'm talking braking at 8-9/10ths!

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Well, from a salespersons point of view...I've been selling cars for nearly 20 years now with the bulk of it between BMW, Porsche and Lotus. Porsche is a great car and lets be honest here, this is the market that Lotus is aiming for and while Lotus will NEVER make a dent in their sales, I've been seeing clients make the switch from Porsche which they've owned for 10+ years to the Evora, particularly the 2012 IPS. The biggest compliments are the styling, uniqueness of it and probably the more telling signs are the handling and overall feel of the vehicle. Some are familiar with the forums which you can tell when they mention the little problems they've read, no doubt pertaining to 2010/2011 models but insistent on a 2012.

I recently sold a 2012 demo of ours which was an IPS and the couple were of professional careers..one a doctor and the other a lawyer and both have owned MBZ & Porsche but wanted something that wasn't a dime a dozen type vehicle. This demo, I personally put about 1500 miles and drove it for 2.5 hours straight with pure delight to the first Lotus Cup series at Chuckwalla where some of the participants were amazed with it. Needless to say, the new owners absolutely loved their new car and I received an email from the owner stating how happy she and her husband are with their new Lotus.

To the purist, the Evora still holds true to Chapman's philosophy...Chapman never said how light it had to be but only that it had to be light and to its competitors, it's just that. Just like the Elise/Exige will some day, I'm positive that the Evora will go down as one of the best sports cars in history...has absolutely nothing to do with price or HP but the overall handling, braking, steering and looks of he vehicles. I'm proud to be "still" representing Lotus after so many years and I'm confident that Lotus will have a place in history with it's current models. Time will only tell what the future has in store for Lotus and I plan on sticking around... ;)

Best regards,

THANK YOU ABE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Nice review, sounds quite accurate (although I'll likely never own a Porsche!). I love the Evora, and after driving a 2012 S the other day, am 100% completely sold on the car in every way. I always wondered what it would be like if Lotus ever "finished" a car from the factory...well the Evora is just that, and now on my list to own one day...I think it's spectacular...

·
Premium Member
699 Posts

Best regards,

Abe, thanks for the info. I'm fairly certain I'll end up having the Evora next to the Elise in my garage very shortly!! I'll be sure to post a nice write up and pics of my 7000 mile trek across country, up the east coast and back to San Diego....in my Evora!
:clap:

·
Illegal Alien
5,157 Posts
... sorry telling it like it is. Lotus is one step above a kit car that seems it is put together by people who really dont care or take pride... or maybe they do and are just handed a bunch of crap parts that don't fit correctly
Take one trip to the factory and you will change your opinion about the work force not caring. I have never seen such a group smiling as they work in a floor that you could lick, not just eat off. I have been to Mercedes (USA), Porsche, BMW, Corvette and Ford factories, none compared to the cleanliness and worker pride.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts