The Lotus Cars Community banner

81 - 100 of 250 Posts

·
because racecar
540 Posts
Did you cut the frame to install e153 trans?
Yes the subframe had to be notched. Depends on where your header ends up. There are other things that come up like engine position. Right now my throw is really long and vague and it doesnt shift over 7500 rpm. I am still trouble shooting it. Functional though. I think that is an issue particular to my car as I know others e153 shift arguably better than stock and all the way up to redline.

I think for a pure race car the sequential is fastest/best having drove all three trans options myself. I'd rather have the e153 or c64, especially a c64 that never breaks, for a street car but I have drove the sequential on the street, not for the faint of heart. It does not have synchros.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Wide, I think previous poster nailed it, but let me give a bit more color.

The MR2 trans is a much bigger unit that all-in can add upwards of 50lbs to the car. It reduces the serviceability of the car as it just takes up so much space, and can require cutting of the subframe(I haven't done one, just from what I hear from friends).

The gearing is less than optimal. It has a short 1st, tall 2nd-5th. This is the opposite of what you really want for a fun & engaging car on these street and track.
Redline MPH 8500 on stock sized tires
Stock e153(MR2)
1st 43 46
2nd 67 78
3rd 93 119
4th 118 163
5th 150 205
6th 168

So essentially you have a too short first as our stock first gear is with power and then the gears are spaced so far apart that the car falls off the cam and out of the power with every shift.

Our gear set looks like this:

1st 56
2nd 76
3rd 102
4th 123
5th 141
6th 158

So first is taller to take advantage of the power and then every gear is closely spaced to keep wear on the synchros less and the car on the cam.

We're building this setup for the TVS400/FF400 levels of power & torque.
With my modded E153 box with E53 third and fourth gears I get the following
1st 42
2nd 72
3rd 103
4th 134
5th 188
This works fine on the track as long as you don't get into fifth as it is very high
Highway cruising at 70 is around 3000rpm
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/better-e153-gearbox-181698/

·
Registered
582 Posts
In my install of the E153 setup I did not touch the subframe. It has been out a few times and I have also done a few 6 speeds and they are not much different to get ion and out. The setup moves the motor 1/2 " over to the right side so it has a different right top engine mount that I did have to trim a bit. The supplied front and rear engine mounts were unusable in a street car so I modded them to use my OEM mounts.

·
because racecar
540 Posts
I think it depends on what you have for a header. With PPE I think you have to take a small bit out of the rear subframe for the e153. I did and glagola1 had to also with the same header. He has some photos in his e153 install thread showing where he clearanced.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think it depends on what you have for a header. With PPE I think you have to take a small bit out of the rear subframe for the e153. I did and glagola1 had to also with the same header. He has some photos in his e153 install thread showing where he clearanced.
I am running PPE headers and it did not need any trimming of the subframe.

·
Vendor
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
10 days with no action in this thread!?
Seriously! The OP is a slacker! I have 3/4 gear sets that just showed up. Output shaft is done, ring this week and then Input. I'll try to get some good pics of the 3/4 up today or tomorrow.

·
Vendor
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
At long last, a few pics of our 3rd and 4th gears. Notice the much beefier tooth profile and reduced helix angle for strength. We were able to make 3rd significantly wider without interference. This is the most frequently stripped gear in the box. Last but not least, far better alloy and heat treatment.

Ring and Pinion should be available soon, then finally 1st and 2nd.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Those are FREAKING BEEFY!!!

I have played around with the OEM Gears, and honestly the OEMs are so cheap. But DANG Fred...talk about making a phenomenal replacement.

·
Vendor
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
:coolnana:
Didn't see any point in leaving any tricks up our sleeve.
Maximum Design
Best Materials
Best Heat-Treat
Cryo standard

We will also be offering aerospace certified shot-peening as an option. I figure if they are good enough for Apache Helicopter Blades, it will work well for us.
While anyone can blast media and call it shot-peening, we use a specific SAE spec based on our consulting engineer's 35 years of driveline gear and axle material science.

The Input shafts will be 300M and that material is used on aircraft landing gear and fighter jet tail hooks..... :D:evil:
:shift:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hot-diggity, guys. Good work! About time the C64 tranny gets some love. Completing the puzzle for after-market supercharged Eliges!

·
Vendor
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #97

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Hot-diggity, guys. Good work! About time the C64 tranny gets some love. Completing the puzzle for after-market supercharged Eliges!
Are you ready to go back to 2ZZ!?!?!? :D

Look'n good, Zust!

-Phil

81 - 100 of 250 Posts