The Lotus Cars Community banner

141 - 160 of 250 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I only have a stock Elise that i just purchased last fall. I love the car. Not my first Lotus but my first Elise. Bought my first Lotus in 1972. Where were you then?

I like lots of HP so things could change in the future. I love this thread and Fred, you are doing a very good job! Someday I'd like to install a supercharged 3.5 in mine.

That cryoed stuff is fantastic! My heart has been going in and out of A-Fib for the last 20 plus years. Medication hasn't helped. Seven years ago, I had an ablation where RF waves burned a portion of the surface of my heart to try to keep the electrical signals that control my heart rate from taking the wrong path and causing A-Fib. It didn't work.

December 2015, I just had another ablation but a NEW TYPE. A CRYO ABLATION!!!!! A Cryo Ablation utilizes liquid nitric oxide to freeze the tissue and produce scar tissue to again keep electrical signals from taking the wrong path across my heart. Hurrah for CRYO!!! For the first time in over 20 years I have now gone over three months with going into A-Fib !!!!! Hurrah!!!

This should make my heart stronger for more HP, which means I'll probably need a new trans soon.

I too am now watching and waiting. Thank you,
Frank

·
Vendor
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Update, yep. I have the test box in the car and should be on the ground in next couple days. Once we pound on it some we'll be ready to go. It will take 8-12 weeks for the production parts to be ready once we say go. We'll start with doing fully built units with a core exchange. This will make the process faster for the recipients and allow me to control outbound quality.

There are about 10 different snap rings each with 10-15 available thicknesses in the transmission to make sure the end-play is controlled as well as other things that have to be setup correctly to ensure proper operation. Lastly, I will be magnafluxing all the load-bearing parts in the box to ensure we aren't starting with something that is already broken.

There are a few options:
1. Full 1-4 set with new Shorter/Stronger Final drive. This will be the most responsive and AutoX friendly with 76mph 2nd gear with stock tire diameters. Good for stoplight battles.
2. Full 1-4 set with new FD and Taller 6th. Despite the shorter FD, the car has a taller cruise gear for the drive to and from events.
3. Full 1-4 set with stock FD. Same close ratios and fifth gear that gets 150mph. Track friendly. Of course taller 6th could be used here also for low RPM highway cruise.

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
3 different Alloys used for maximum strength and wear. All parts are also cryo treated.
Current Introductory pricing:

1-4 Gear Set including 300M input shaft and 4340 3rd and 4th. - $4695
4.818 Final Drive - $1795

We will have a REM finishing option too which will provide a touch more HP, lower temps, and smoother shifting, but details have to be worked out.

Still working on build and setup charges.

I would like to start a list of folks that are interested enough to put a Deposit down when we are w/in 4 weeks of shipping. This will help us estimate quantity for the first run. Please let me know if it is for full gear set or just Final Drive or Just 1-4.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Is Just 1-4 with Toyota 6th and stock FD an option. Any reason not to do this? I will maybe never be over 150 on the track will I at 290 whp? I will be getting a 1-4 set either way with quaife LSD. Have core(s).

·
Vendor
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Is Just 1-4 with Toyota 6th and stock FD an option. Any reason not to do this? I will maybe never be over 150 on the track will I at 290 whp? I will be getting a 1-4 set either way with quaife LSD. Have core(s).
Option #3 above.....:D

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Fantastic options!!!!!!

I can see a 1-4 with stock FD and Quaife LSD in my future. If I use slightly taller tires in the rear I'll be able to hit 60 mph without shifting out of 1st

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
can I tell me is "1-4 Gear Set including 300M input shaft and 4340 3rd and 4th. - $4695"

price for trans with a good core trans or without?

if i Add taller 6th gear how much more?

thanks
Ed

·
Vendor
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I haven't worked out the cost without core yet. Taller 6th gear is about $270 for both gears. No additional labor to add 6th when we are building it. Diff labor is discounted for the new diff if you buy your Quaife LSD for us.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
But for those with transmissions out of the car today this does not look to be an option. Even if everything goes according to the current timeline from this point on (which up to this point we are months behind the updates for when things were supposed to be progressing) we are talking 3 months until the first unit rolls off the presses. Since nothing goes as planned and will probably need some tweaking I would imagine the first gen 1 units will be ready to go in around fall time frame.

·
Vendor
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
But for those with transmissions out of the car today this does not look to be an option. Even if everything goes according to the current timeline from this point on (which up to this point we are months behind the updates for when things were supposed to be progressing) we are talking 3 months until the first unit rolls off the presses. Since nothing going as plans and will probably need some tweaking I would imagine the first gen 1 units will be ready to go in around fall time frame.
Bud, I think we are past the tweaking phase, so I expect sooner, but you could be right!

·
Vendor
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #156 (Edited)
Actually, a pretty good update. Finally got the test box installed and on the road late last week. Took it out for a maiden spin and the ratios feel fantastic! The taller 1st makes it useable on a boosted car. 2nd -5th are nice and tight, always in the powerband! I gotta get a video done. One minor issue is that we had to re-grind the proto ring gears to fix an error and they whine quite a bit. They won't in the final version, but you'll hear it in the video, not to be alarmed.

This weekend we took it to an autoX in california along with our Ultimate street car. The ratios were just perfect for autox! great launch and early course from 1st while 2nd was just the right balance of speed and power. This was a wide-open course, but only had a few blips on the rev limiter. In fact quite a bit better than the yellow car with sequential's taller gearing. The course was more suited to the gearing of our Maroon test mule on day 1 and the yellow car was a bit of a hot mess. Both were vying for TTOTD. Ultimately our maroon car with the new gear ratios took it.

2nd day we got both cars dialed in and the yellow car really took off, 2 seconds faster than the maroon one.

I'll try to get some pics and video up soon.

·
Vendor
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Interlude for results:
At the 2 day event, Alex ran the Ultimate street car, which was bumped to Unlimited. I ran the transmission test mule i.e. Maroon car. It was in import. Alex won unlimited, Fastest Lady, and Fastest Lap. I won the import class and the overall Cup for lowest combined lap time including all penalties for all laps for the entire weekend. Alex wasn't eligible for that in the Unlimited. The transmission held up well to the repeated launches etc. More autox and track duty testing in 2 weeks at Optima's search for the ultimate streetcar.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
What kind of power are you running in the test mule? There is no substitute for real world testing. Good to hear that the issues you discovered are minor.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Love the fact that at least Alex looks happy about winning!!! Nice work Fred..now to finish my projects so I can work on the next part of my build! :D

141 - 160 of 250 Posts