The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David Vivian, EVO Magazine June 2002:
"I'm here to tell you this, forget the MR2. Forget the Elise and Boxster as well. Because dynamically, the RD180 stuff's em. That's right, sends their 501's slumping earthwards. No. not a 'just-edges-it' type of thing. A boot in the arse."

Has anybody tried to import the Vemac RD180 into the U.S.?

* 1st-gen Elise look from the front, including hood mounted vents
* 2-seater with removable targa top
* 43.3 in. height, 67.7 in. width
* wide door sills

* 1.8L Honda VTEC mid-engine (180hp) mounted longitudinally
* 47/53 weight distribution
* LSD
* unequal-length double wishbones
* AP Racing 4-piston calipers (front)
* door sill mounted shifter
* ~1 ton curb weight (I've seen anywhere from 800-940kg quoted)
* 2 cars/month produced in the U.K. @ 35-44k Pounds each

Shown at this year's Tokyo show: RD200: 2.0L 217 hp engine, 6-speed

An 8 minute, 28MB movie can be found at http://www.steering.ne.jp/movie/.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Dan said:
Forget the Elise and Boxster as well. Because dynamically, the RD180 stuff's em. That's right, sends their 501's slumping earthwards. No. not a 'just-edges-it' type of thing. A boot in the arse.
Pretty broad statement there. You didn't happen to consider the possibility that they compared it to the 120 hp Rover Elise and not the 190 hp Yota Elise, I image.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think he was referring to acceleration, because the quoted numbers I've seen seem to lie between the S1 and S2 111s Elises. I think he was talking more about the handling, why Vemac created a custom transmission (using Honda internals) so that the engine could be mounted longitudinally for better balance. This car has a 47/53 weight distribution, significantly more balanced than the 38/62 for the Elise, especially considering how similar these cars are.

Don't forget that the 217hp version of this car was shown at Tokyo, 20% more hp than the RD180, although there is probably a weight penalty since this comes from a larger 2L engine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Is it me or does anybody else think it looks like a ranchero?

And if you watched it. How boring was that video? If you're gonna build a car that will supposedly beat an MR2, Elise and Boxster how about you show it's performance, that might as well been a cadillac cruising the backroads and listening to mood music.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Performance wise it's pretty cool, wieght balance I like better. Different wieght balances allow you to do different things but i prefer the 50/50 ideal for a street car.

But yeah, that thing is a dog. it looks like the Elise from the front but it looks like crap from the rear. Too bad, looks like they put a lot of work into it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts