The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It's basically the little blue pill for the IPS Evoras :)

Check out the website and let us know how we can help!

Cheers,

Phil

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
663 Posts
You've taken the right approach - as you're about to discover, it's really easy to electronically tune the shifts after you have the hydraulics sorted out. On the electronically shifted automatics I've worked with, it's possible to bark the tires shifting into drive if you get a little too aggressive with first gear engage orifice size.

Good work sorting this for the IPS people!

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You've taken the right approach - as you're about to discover, it's really easy to electronically tune the shifts after you have the hydraulics sorted out. On the electronically shifted automatics I've worked with, it's possible to bark the tires shifting into drive if you get a little too aggressive with first gear engage orifice size.

Good work sorting this for the IPS people!
Thanks. The work involved was tremendous since a valve body had to come out for each change! fortunately we have 2 IPS cars so we were able to try it on one car while we fitted the other. This halved the amount of time (in theory) and it allowed Jess to get really, really, really good at swapping valve bodies! lol

The major bad shift is the 3-4 with most of the 6 speed autos and the U660E is no exception. They share a drum that carries 2 planetaries. There's a fine line on just how fast that shift can be and it's also why most 6 speeds fail the 3-4 clutch with that clunky hand-off that has to take place. At WOT and about 400whp, the 3-4 was taking about 1.2 seconds to complete the shift from the request. We got it down to about 0.6 seconds, which nearing the mechanical limit for that particular cadence. The other shifts are actually a bit faster, not that 0.6 seconds is slow! :D

-Phil

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Hi Phil,

I want to order a set and have my local shop install it but they want to see the instructions prior to committing that they are able to do the install.

Is there a way I can get a copy of the install instructions?

Thanks.

·
Illegal Alien
4,778 Posts
Hi Phil,

I want to order a set and have my local shop install it but they want to see the instructions prior to committing that they are able to do the install.

Is there a way I can get a copy of the install instructions?

Thanks.
If Phil cant get you a copy, you may need to purchase this from Lotus or Toyota. Due to Toyota copyright restrictions, Lotus an only sell a CD hardcopy not a soft download.

IPS (Intelligent Precision Shift)
T000T1526F (CD format) Toyota U660E gearbox only

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Guess I missed this.

Been keeping the instructions a bit under wrap to help protect the IP. Everyone that's been installed or that we've installed has had great feedback. I trust you would too...

The instructions are quite good. It requires removing the valvebody. No special tools. You need to be a "confident person" to do it, but not necessarily a master mechanic if that makes sense.

Cheers!

Phil

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hopefully this will develop some more over time...

It's awesome that the mechanical action is sharpened... Now all we need is someone to work their magic and fix that "buffer". Once a SW fix is out, I'm game.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any updates from owners on this? Before and after comparisons on timing and sound?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any updates from owners on this? Before and after comparisons on timing and sound?
Any updates from owners who have done this mod. Having owned 3x Exige V6 manuals, I would love to have same speed of change from pull of paddle to gear change as the Evora 400 I owned.

Thanks in advance

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
The only other negative remaining for the IPS is why they don't offer LSD with IPS??

21 - 32 of 32 Posts