The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so well, my car is at HRM!

Its gonna get Armor Fend and LoJack (I *DO* live in NJ, one of the car theft leaders).

Anyway, short version of sad story is that I will pick it up next Saturday (1 Week from today!)

I decided to give GEICO a try (poor guys are now supplying us New Jerseyites insurance). First, I was able to cut my insurance on my two commuter mobiles in 1/2 half!! But the sales guy could not find Lotus in the database and kept saying they couldn't do it.

But I went in over the web and submitted the Lotus that way and about 1 hr later, they insured it. Its gonna cost me $673.70 for 6 Months. (I DO live in NJ etc.).

But between the rate reduction on the commuter mobiles and the insurance on the Lotus I come out about even! Hip, Hip Hurrah!

So if GEICO tells you no at first, just keep after them.

BTW

31% of all vehicle owners don't lock their doors.
80% of the vehicles that were stolen were left unlocked
11% of owners admit that they sometimes leave their keys in the ignition
40% of all car thefts actually had the keys in the ignition.

DUH!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Congrats! That doesn't sound like a bad rate at all, especially for NJ. GEICO has been insuring my Elise since the end of August, so they should be aware of the car (one would hope, anyway!) ;)

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I'm paying over 1k/ 6mo. with state farm in PA. with lowest deductibles and full tort option. :(

No accidents, no tickets. multi-car discount and lojack discount. 32 YO

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I got a quote of $629.50 for 6 months from Geico, over $800
from Progressive, Allied says that won't insure it at all. The sales-
person I talked to said that rates are primarily determined by dollar value of the car and the insured's claim history. He was surprised that some of his competitor's wouldn't under-right it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
what deductible are you using and what coverages? I have 100/300 with 750 deductible and my policy with Geico is $415/6 months also in NJ

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
many people have gotten their insurance for the Elise from Geico and received good rates. I will most likely as well when I get my car. I don't recall seeing Lotus on the website to calculate rates, but I was going to call instead.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I got my Elise in September. I called Geico just before it arrived. They said they wouldn't insure it, cause it was too expensive. I said "My mother's new Lexus is almost this much!" When I told them the price of the Elise, they told me they didn't realize it was so affordable. After much consulting of supervisors, they finally agreed to insure it. But now I see that others (Ellen) already had insurance thru Geico, so I have no idea why it was such a big deal for them.

·
Registered
538 Posts
pinmagic said:
I got my Elise in September. I called Geico just before it arrived. They said they wouldn't insure it, cause it was too expensive. I said "My mother's new Lexus is almost this much!" When I told them the price of the Elise, they told me they didn't realize it was so affordable. After much consulting of supervisors, they finally agreed to insure it. But now I see that others (Ellen) already had insurance thru Geico, so I have no idea why it was such a big deal for them.
Hmmmm, they did put me on hold for awhile, and then the rate was revised once after they gave me the initial quote, but not by much. I think it just takes them awhile before everyone gets on the same page regarding new cars. I ran into similar issues having one of the first SLK32, SLK230, and 225 TTs in the U.S.

(BTW, Neil, Drk Frcs (Kevin) lives in Fairfax and has a new CO. He may stop by .... let us know if you're in the area.)

·
Registered
543 Posts
question for those of you on this thread, is your elise a daily driver??

in march after i placed the order, i quote a quote from Grundy for 600/year!
ours won't be a daily driver, no kids driving it, garage kept, etc... since mine will be here in january, i trust they'll hold to that number!

oh, and we're in new jersey too!

·
Registered
263 Posts
My bimmer is insured w/AAA, so I got a quote from them first for the Elise.

For 100/300, 1k deductible, single female, 31 y.o., no violations/accidents, second car, limit 8000 miles/year, they quoted me $1900/yr. Ouch.

So I called Geico. Over the phone, same settings as above, they quoted me $586/ 6 months (lots of machinations, put on hold quite a bit). Decided to go with that, and the next day when I called to give them the VIN, suddenly the price was now ~$750. Still better than AAA, so went with it. Got a bill last week saying they've adjusted my rate again, another $90.

Grrr.

Anybody else have their policy adjusted afterwards? Is this kosher?

·
Registered
538 Posts
dana said:

It's not unusual when a car is new and the insurance industry has no history data on it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
for all of us who are using GEICO, my thoughts are enjoy it while it lasts. I give them them less than a year to figure out what an Elise is and jack up all rtaes. Right now I do not think they have any idea what the Elise is. All they are doing is basing there quotes off of a $45,000 (+-) car.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
dana said:
I know I got frequent increases with the WRX until the insurance (not Geico at the time) figured out what it was. I don't remember if the first bill was more than they quoted. But I would certainly be prepared for substantial increases on the first few renewals.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
ill be paying 83 dollars a month from state farm.....full coverage, 250 deductable.....
ive never had a problem with state farm paying out claims...
last year had a custom motorcycle ripped off....
i had an appraisal on the bike of 17k....
they paid me 17k plus tax.....
ive totalled a bike, they paid....
ive crashed a bike, they paid....
ill stick with state farm, even if they are a bit higher in my area.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
..its later, when they say no to the claim part that hurts!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
GEICO has always been great to deal with. No complaints at all. And the friendliest people on the phone. I swear, there must be something in the water there -- everyone is so dman cheerful!

As for insurance rates, I think we're all in for a rude awakening. When the insurance companies figure out that these cars are extremely fragile, and that they have no bumpers, the jig will be up. :(

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
EspritV8: I called Grundy: $621/ year BUT they will not underwrite
your car if it is used on the racetrack (either auto-cross or trackdays) or driven to work. I suppose you could go with them and just pray that nothing happens in the office parking lot or at the racetrack. This thing is definately going to be more expensive to insure than a used NSX.:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts