The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today, finally, I drove home from our dealer/service department smiling. I have made that drive 3 or 4 times since purchasing the car in March on the verge of having a nervous breakdown. Now I can finally say that the a/c throttle cut out issue is fixed! AND the woodpecker rattle is gone!

Why bittersweet? Because I was informed that I have a transmission leak. So that's what that smell was... Well guess what transmission, you're not going to rain on my parade today! lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
Veruca
Do you know what they did to fix your a/c throttle cut out?? I might have the same issue. Thanks, Adam.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Was it the 06 ECU problem that people had? The fix was a reflash to the latest software I think for that one

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reflash didn't work for me. This is the fix. We spoke to Lotus the other day and the guy said this is exactly what the problem is. If your dealer doesn't want to believe the service bulletin below have them call Lotus and they will confirm.

SERVICE Date: 03.08.06 2006/20
BULLETIN Model: '06 Elise/Exige a.c.
Service Manager Service Reception Supervisor Parts Manager
Lotus Cars Limited, Norwich, Norfolk, NR14 8EZ. England.
CLASS 3
TITLE: Momentary engine power interruption.
REASON: It has been found that on a very small number of '06 model year cars, with an unfavourable tolerance
a.c. control module, it is possible under some circumstances that sparking across the a.c.
compressor relay contacts can cause a voltage spike which results in the engine ECU resetting.
This will be experienced as a momentary interruption of engine power, and is likely to occur only
very occasionally. It is also possible that a throttle related trouble code may be set. e.g. P0638.

Action: If this symptom should be reported, it is recommended to replace the a.c./fan control module
A117M0038F

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks Veruca. I was just in to LOA this week and they found nothing wrong with my ac after I asked them to check it. I do have an 06 build date of 1/06 I think. Adam.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am assuming you have an '06. I have the same symptoms but, having trouble with it being dealt with as I have an '07.
I have an '06. I don't know, I would think it would be the same. :confused:

Thanks Veruca. I was just in to LOA this week and they found nothing wrong with my ac after I asked them to check it. I do have an 06 build date of 1/06 I think. Adam.
I went through the same thing. If I heard "we can't fix it if we can't duplicate it" one more time I was going to go postal. Hopefully this will help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have an '06. I don't know, I would think it would be the same. :confused:

I went through the same thing. If I heard "we can't fix it if we can't duplicate it" one more time I was going to go postal. Hopefully this will help.
I copied this thread to my dealer 10 days ago and they called today to tell me the module arrived from Lotus and will fit it next week. Thanks.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I copied this thread to my dealer 10 days ago and they called today to tell me the module arrived from Lotus and will fit it next week. Thanks.
My dealer tells me since about eight weeks that he's waiting for the A/C module to arrive from Lotus, and that they are having trouble getting it...
Sounds like your dealer is doing a better job than mine...:mad:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wonderful! I'm so glad to hear it!

Way to go Veruca.
You are the first to get this fixed (I think).
Sweet! I'm glad I could make a contribution! There is nothing more embarrassing than pulling up to a light in your Lotus (that everyone is checking out) and it dieing on you.

My dealer tells me since about eight weeks that he's waiting for the A/C module to arrive from Lotus, and that they are having trouble getting it...
Sounds like your dealer is doing a better job than mine...:mad:
We went through the same thing - it turned out that our dealer had never gotten around to making the call... The person at Lotus said that the parts are in stock 99% percent of the time. Let me tell you, after we made that call to Lotus everything happened quickly and we were treated very nicely at the dealer.

Right now I'm waiting to hear about the transmission leak. I had my husband call the other day (I don't have the patience to call anymore) and he was told that we hadn't heard from them in a week because they were trying to talk Lotus in to replacing the whole transmission. Who knows. :shrug: In the event they did replace it, does anyone know how long it should take to replace the transmission in our car? I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself for the car being gone. :(

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I know I have this problem too. But I couldn't figure out how to duplicate it for the dealer.

It's almost like they have to take your word that it is happening. But its really pretty freaky when you are driving along and all of sudden the power just drops right out from underneith you! :panic:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am assuming you have an '06. I have the same symptoms but, having trouble with it being dealt with as I have an '07.

Me too. But I checked the build date and it was built March 2006. And I bought it new in October 2007, which raises another question :)

Dealer can't replicate but I've pointed the dealer to the TSB above and HOPE this resolves the problem. Frankly the times I've lost power I was not going much over 60 and on roads where I could pull over. But that's luck. I need to fix.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Wow, I went to my dealer with my '07 and they never blinked twice. Service tech knew exactly what it was (AC module) and they fixed it that day. And this was back in April! I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
i had this problem, and got the ac module replaced, but later it did it again. i haven't driven the exige in a while but if it happens again, idk what to do. unless it's possible the ac module needs to be replaced again. but i'm sure they have to prove that it's bad and that'll cost me

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dealer talked with Lotus; they replaced the A/C module and also the MFU (multi-function unit); no problem it was done under warranty. So far, no recurrence of the issue. But have a long trip up to Montreal and then Vermont for a Lotus Club event, so am crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
LOA replaced the module at the end of July. I drove the Elise to PA and back to GA (in August) with no reoccurance of the problem. I only experienced the problem on long interstate drives. But all is good now. Adam.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dealer talked with Lotus; they replaced the A/C module and also the MFU (multi-function unit); no problem it was done under warranty. So far, no recurrence of the issue. But have a long trip up to Montreal and then Vermont for a Lotus Club event, so am crossing my fingers.
Update: One week and 1100 miles later, so far so good. Good thing nothing happened during the spirited drive :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have an 08 and I just pulled the code P0638 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Command Performance Bank 1. My AC has been icing up for the past month. Could I be having the same issue? I also pulled a P0420 code. Which probably isn't related

1 - 20 of 21 Posts