The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was chatting with another gear head last night who was commenting on how different my car looks now than it did 4 weeks ago - and as far back as 3 years ago when I purchased it. I figured it would be interesting (well for me anyway) to show her through the stages of her 3 year life with me.

First day she arrived (I was rather excited)
1 - First Day (Small).jpg

This is how she looked at the end of last season after my goal of doing a full murder on her (everything was done in black)
2 - Full Murder (Small).jpg

Then unfortunately at the end of last season I popped the motor so that came out, this is from March 14th 2012
3 - Motor out (Small).jpg

And here she is at the end of March, 2012 with the new motor in (first test drive)
4 - Motor back in.jpg

And finally this is her as of Friday night in my driveway after the new livery and a bath. Rather thrilled that she's back together - finally.
5 - Livery Installed (Small).jpg

Vanity post over - you can return to your regularly scheduled browsing...

-Ross

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why did you pull the motor and what did you do to it? Any performance upgrades?
So what happened with your motor last season?
In short I had a "major oil issue" - meaning that on Friday morning I was full and at noon on Saturday I was 3 quarts low (stupidly I didn't check it Saturday morning - 3 day weekend event). Honestly no clue where it went, no leak under the car, lines were fine and I can't imagine that 3 quarts went through the exhaust with no one noticing. Either way I wound up pitching the old motor for scrap as some guys came around my neighborhood looking for scrap metal. The timing was too good so I just got rid of it before I had time to pull it apart. There were huge (silver dollar diameter) pieces of metal in the oil pan however.

No upgrades when I replaced it - but it was a brand new motor (8 miles). Was pulled out of what has now become the first Hennessey Venom GT Cabrio - owned by - Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. So yes, I have Steven Tyler's engine - I suppose that's an upgrade!

Decided to stay stock as I'm saving money for a Formula Ford racer for next season and didn't need the Lotus to be 2-3 seconds a lap faster for $5k+

where did u get those decals?! super sick! love it!
Thanks TF - it was a totally custom design by yours truly (well based off the Evora enduro and current F1 cars). A shop in Denver, Fine Line did the cutting and installation of everything and did a SUBURB job on it. Reasonably priced at $1600 all in.

As I was scrolling down I just assumed there wouldn't be a big difference in the end result.
That's the main reason I started the thread - when I realized truly how much I've changed it over the years it was kinda neat for myself to see the progression...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Nice, do you track the car or all more for looks?

Is that a APR rear wing and do you notice better handling with the rear wing?

Thanks Alan

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice, do you track the car or all more for looks?
I wouldn't say I track her exclusively as my ego has been enjoying the reaction on the street to the new livery but yeah, I bought her for the track. I do about 15-20 days a season in her and have probably done 40+ since I bought her. Hence it wasn't surprising or a huge deal when the motor popped (just part of the deal to me)

Is that a APR rear wing and do you notice better handling with the rear wing?
It is, it's the GTC-200 and honestly I can't say yet. I made the mistake of changing many things at once (wing, diffuser, canards) and I've only had her out for 2 days so far (both I took it pretty easy as I only had 700 miles on the new motor). I'll admit I did the wing mostly for look - I just think you can't have too big of a wing on these cars. I have a set of Sector RaceSills at home that I hope to install tomorrow night...

You definitely have the right color there Alan :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
yeesh man,

No offence, just my honest opinion, but def. not my cup of tea.. Way too Fast & the Furious.

And the red mirrors and wing???? I'm not going to type anymore :)

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And the red mirrors and wing???? I'm not going to type anymore
That's ok - it's your right to have bad taste ;-)

Way too Fast & the Furious
Uh, no, not at all - apparently you're not a real Lotus nor F1 fan. It was modeled after this:
f1_01_temp-1328515701-4f2f8a75-620x348.jpg

About as far from Fast and the Furious as you can get in my book. Also remember this is a 90% track-only car, not a street racer at all....

·
Registered
525 Posts
That's ok - it's your right to have bad taste ;-)

Uh, no, not at all - apparently you're not a real Lotus nor F1 fan. It was modeled after this:
View attachment 184901

About as far from Fast and the Furious as you can get in my book. Also remember this is a 90% track-only car, not a street racer at all....

wow, touchy...touchy rotfl

Anyhow I came across your posts because I blew my motor at the track as well and am attempting a full swap all by my lonesome.

Would you have any pointers? Did you end up replacing your oil coolers and or radiators? How was removal of the front clam? (reason I ask is because I am needing to fix a blown A.C. relay in the blower, but scared to do so reading the horror stories.)

Any words of advice for a shade tree mechanic like myself?

Thanks bud.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow, touchy...touchy
I wouldn't say that - but coming into someone's "I love my car" thread and basically bashing them isn't the coolest thing I've seen...

To answer your questions:
- All by yourself won't be easy as there are a few things you just need another set of hands for. If you mean no other skilled help then you'll be good, it's really not that hard (hell I did it!)

- Front clam - again not really hard at all, there are some good guides out there. My biggest advice is bag everything in plastic bags and label them as they come off the car (all the bolts/screws). So glad I did this. Secondly just take your time - you shouldn't have to force anything (with the clams at least)

- Oil coolers - I did replace mine, as I had a failure I had to assume there was metal in them (there was a ton of metal in my oil pan). If you had a similar failure you really have to change yours too. I went with stock cooler from my local Lotus dealer ($900 for the pair) and the NCI lines from RLS. That was probably the hardest piece, I used coat hangers to attach the old lines to the new lines (with Gorilla tape) and had a friend help pull and I fed. Again there are guides out there and I know of guys who have done it alone - so it is possible.

- I don't think you should be scared at all, while I'm no slouch I'm not exactly the most mechanically inclined guy in the world (I'm technical, work in IT but not really mechanical). I did a full motor/tranny swap, had both clams off, brake lines, oil lines, wheel hubs, rear toe links, gutted the interior, added harnesses and Tillet carbon seats. If I can do that it's not that hard ;-)

I guess the F&F comment bugged me as I spend a lot of time building my car so I can use it as it was intended to be used. The complete opposite of a F&F or show car - that's all for looks. My car is first and foremost about the driving experience - I figure with all I've spent on her and done to her she deserved a new look. Not your cup-o-tea - totally cool. F&F - nope, don't think so ;-) Sorry I was a bit touchy....

-Ross

·
Registered
525 Posts
Cool man, thanks for the help!

I wonder if there is a way to flush out the oil coolers without having to replace? Seems like an expensive endeavor.

As far as you following your manual, did you have a toyota service manual or did you refer to online material?

No offence about the F&F comment, its just what car forums are all about. We pick apart others cars and throw insults. We're guys and these are our cars. Without throwing insults, this forum would be boring :)

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if there is a way to flush out the oil coolers without having to replace? Seems like an expensive endeavor.
I believe that yes, you could. I didn't want to risk anything given the cost and work to install the new motor. I was definitely going to replace the lines due to the crimping issues so in the grand scheme of things the extra cost of the coolers was worth the peace of mine. 10% of the total cost to not risk the entire project was worth it in my book.

That being said I do think if you did it really well you could clean them out and re-use them. But the service manual says to replace them after any critical engine failure so that's what I did. So yes, I used both the service manual and the forums - and a few close friends (thanks to Vulcan Gray, Frank Amoroso and DJason for all the help)

We pick apart others cars and throw insults. We're guys and these are our cars. Without throwing insults, this forum would be boring
Yeah, I hear ya - to me trash talking ("my car can kick your car's ass!") is one thing but you're car looks like a punk ass ricer from a lame ass movie is another. Hence my slight overreaction. Water under the bridge.

Either way I think we all agree - we all love our cars...

·
Registered
97 Posts
could you kindly post more photos of the final f1 styled livery? i'm looking to do something similar but on a graphite grey base

1 - 15 of 15 Posts