The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New member on here. I have developed a problem with my aircon on my S2 Exige. The blue light does comes on when i push it but the aircon fails to start up and with this hot weather its becoming unbearable. The relay in the dash no longer clicks and the idle note does not increase. I dont have a service manual but i have checked the fuses which are all fine. Any help or idea where to look next or what to do greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^any ideas how i get to it? is it located in the same place as the fuse box ie. on the passenger side between the windscreen and the rad?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Make sure that you check the correct fuse. I am not sure where the fuses for the compressor is in an Exige but the Elise has fuses in three different locations.

It does sound like a blown fuse to me. If not I would change the relay

:shift:

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
If all the fuses are OK, then a trip to the dealer is needed as there are so many things that can cause the A/C not to operate.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
First, sorry I tried to edit my other post but deleted it instead.

Second, there are all kinds of things that I think could cause this problem.
-The integral thermal cut-out switch (designed to prevent overheating damage by interrupting the compressor clutch circuit if an excessively high temperature is detected).
-The thermostat (signals the compressor to cycle on and off).
-The ECU (which amends the idle air control valve position as necessary in order to avoid engine stalling and to maintain idle speed when the compressor driving load is placed on the engine when the a.c. request and compressor command start).
-A/C compressor clutch open circuit or short to ground
-A/C Control Module failure
-A/C compressor clutch failure
-ECU output circuit failure

Get a code reader and see if you get a
P0646 A/C Clutch Relay Control Circuit Low
or
P0647 A/C Clutch Relay Control Circuit High
No MIL is illuminated for either of these faults.

The fans/compressor relay module is mounted to the top of the passenger side wheelarch liner. The a.c. relay module is identical in appearance to the engine relay module, but the function of the two modules is different and they must not be transposed. The a.c. relay module A117M0038F has a brown label marked YWB100800; The engine relay module A111E6024F has a white label marked YWB100970.

I just reread your OP and I'm not sure that it would be the relay as the fans are still working. I'm not sure if the fans would still blow if the relay was shot. Although I know some relays have been changed for poor cooling when the fans were still blowing well.

^^ This is why I originally said "Dealer trip." I understand the distance thing (I'm about 200mi) but way too much to go through on your own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts