The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's the A/C and radio delete option thread, who wants to put their elise on a better diet? i certainly do, so i would like the A/C and radio delete option for my elise. anyone else game?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
i hear that the car will be $500 cheaper with the delete option and save 45 lbs

i would love to delete both, but i'll be keeping the AC.
Deleting the radio/speakers along with LSS and maybe a stage 2 exhaust (if it's being changed to double tips as shinoo has brought up in the Dealer Options thread) should make for a sub 1900 lb Elise.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I hope the option is available soon such that it will be an option when it comes time to order my Elise.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
major,
Don't know if it's important, but you'll take a huge hit on resale in a car with no ac or stereo.

Chris

·
Registered
394 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
major,
Don't know if it's important, but you'll take a huge hit on resale in a car with no ac or stereo.

Chris
I sold my STI with no radio, still had AC... However, I had to tell the new owner that I would isntall a radio for him at his expense if he chose to buy the car, it worked!!

Adam

PS, I wish I still had my STI....

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd consider the AC-radio delete option on one condition. That the car is at least prewired for a radio. I can live w/o AC as I have no plans to drive the car with the top on (unless I get caught in the rain). I can't not have music though.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
No!

Here's why:

In order to be competetive in SCCA's stock class, those of us with early cars, before this option was available, would have to sell our 2005 cars and buy a 2006.

That would be really dumb.

Besides, I live in So Cal, and would much prefer to keep my A/C.

If you want to save the weight, remove your own A/C, that way you'll know you're lighter than the other guy's Elise you're racing ;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Seriously, I think Robert's comments are correct

Better to get the AC/radio and remove if you really insist on dropping weight

My last street/track car had no AC -- had to save that weight, afterall -- and the lack of AC was a big reason I ended up selling it

Not fun to arrive at work soaked in sweat. Get the AC, unless you live in Canada or some other icy clime

·
Registered
607 Posts
Jon said:
I'd consider the AC-radio delete option on one condition. That the car is at least prewired for a radio. I can live w/o AC as I have no plans to drive the car with the top on....
I have found that AC even with the top down (S2000) is nice when the weather is hot. Getting factory delete might also save the weight of the various wiring and harnesses that might be difficult to remove as an end user.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would love the delete option. Should be a 0$ option. Saves lotus money, gives us what we want without having to take the car apart.

Personally I think its silly to advise a car maker based on what is needed to make 20 cars competitive in solo2. The scca changes the rules every year anyway so just get used to it...

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I had originally considered stripping the car bare and turning it into a dedicated track car, but the more I think about it the more I'd rather just keep it street legal and buy a real track-only car later on.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
It's 'CC' coming to you guys in your dreams, saying.....lighter..faster, lighter..faster.... You've got to learn to ignore him otherwise you'll soon be removing the grated engine cover, door panel inserts, and a host of other little goodies. He's relentless once he has you under his spell.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've spent the last nine months without using the AC just to make sure I can live without it on the Elise. It's been no problem at all. It definitely should be a factory option considering the nature and spirit of the car.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
ya hachu said:
I've spent the last nine months without using the AC just to make sure I can live without it on the Elise. It's been no problem at all. It definitely should be a factory option considering the nature and spirit of the car.
Where you stay hachu?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
My car is coming with both. I will remove both the a/c and the radio myself, that way I can re-install if I should ever sell(heaven forbid) the car... EXIGE may make me sell but probably not, too enclosed for such a small car..
I'm about to burst.... Laser Blue LSS only! #8 car
P.S. My first Carrera GT will be here in approx 3weeks(I have two sold!) Pretty exciting and I'm not even getting to keep them. I may road trip in the first car with the owner back to Wisconsin..
The second car is going to L.A. in January

·
Registered
607 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
It's 'CC' coming to you guys in your dreams, saying.....lighter..faster, lighter..faster.... You've got to learn to ignore him otherwise you'll soon be removing the grated engine cover, door panel inserts, and a host of other little goodies. He's relentless once he has you under his spell.
It's...too...late......I'm done for....!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Oh yea I really use the radio and AC on the Seven all the time, oh wait that's the Bimmer. Never mind. I think I'll take it off the Elise and put it back on with I sell.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
perryeyges said:

P.S. My first Carrera GT will be here in approx 3weeks(I have two sold!) Pretty exciting and I'm not even getting to keep them. I may road trip in the first car with the owner back to Wisconsin..
The second car is going to L.A. in January
I saw one yesterday in Irvine! Holy crap, that thing is huge.
I also saw two GT3's within minutes of each other in Newport Beach.

Just another day living in southern California... :cool:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts