The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 Elise SC decided to start blowing warm air a few weeks ago. Nothing has changed. Is this a "feature" I should learn to live with, or is there something I can do?

And no, I do not wish to tin foil my entire car like SirLotus. :p

·
Registered
488 Posts
Can you feel the compressor clutch engaging? If not, then you may need a new compressor, although I would search out every avenue before I went down that road.

·
Registered
488 Posts
You should hear a click/squeaking sound when the ac engages and disengages and you should notice a slight decrease in engine power while driving. You can try this with the car parked. Just turn on the AC and stand outside of the the car to see if you can hear anything.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Take it to a auto AC shop or dealer and have it checked.... May have leaked down over time to the point charge is to low for the compressor to engage...don't start throwing parts at it without proper diagnosis. You could try a can of 134a like AC Pro and check low side pressure... Should be above 32 lbs... If not give it a a few shots till you here the compressor engage.... Being very careful to not over charge, system only has 1.25 lb capacity. Service ports are behind the passenger side air inlet, low side port is the one with black cover. There are plenty of instructional video on YouTube.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No click or squeak when the AC button is pressed. The light turns on but nothing else, no decrease in engine power either. Does that mean it's a compressor? And how much is it to replace? Do I have to drive back to the dealer or can I just bring it to a reputable shop?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts