The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turned on my a/c yesterday and put it to the foot setting. Then I switched it to top vents and foot vents and it started blowing out white smoke. I've seen this happen with other cars when the a/c system freezes up but I think this might have been more like actual smoke as it had a bad smell like something was burnt. It made a loud screeching sound and then the car started to idle really rough. I turned off the a/c and everything was fine, need to take it to the dealer anyways since the a/c doesn't work after about 5 mins.

Has anyone seen this happen before?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Possible similar cause? :shrug:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_4ZeDf1reQs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_4ZeDf1reQs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
99 Posts
The compressor clutch may be siezing up. This can lead to a bad idle as I've experienced this before in my last car. Good luck solving your problem.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The compressor clutch may be siezing up. This can lead to a bad idle as I've experienced this before in my last car. Good luck solving your problem.
Thanks, did you take it back in under warranty?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I agree, that would explain the noise and the engine idling poorly, but how does that explain the smoke from the vents? Would it being coming into the cabin via make up air?

By the way, it occurred to me Saturday as I watched my tach needle climb past 7,000, what are these compressors rated at RPM-wise- I guess they can handle spirited driving? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Sounds like the motor windings are burning, if the smoke is coming out the vents. But, that should have killed the motor right then and there

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, that would explain the noise and the engine idling poorly, but how does that explain the smoke from the vents? Would it being coming into the cabin via make up air?

By the way, it occurred to me Saturday as I watched my tach needle climb past 7,000, what are these compressors rated at RPM-wise- I guess they can handle spirited driving? :shrug:
Most modern cars shut off the a/c beyond a certain rpm/throttle position so they don't over drive the a/c compressor, I would imagine the Elise is the same.

I turned it off immediately after all the commotion started and haven't tried to turn the a/c back on yet, just going to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I just got the car back it was an a/c blower motor that was burning out, the lead was corroded so they replaced it and it seems to be working well now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts