The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a V8 Esprit that hasn't had its A/C charged in a while, possibly years. Thoughts on doing a recharge? Will this just be a matter or adding 134a and some sealant/oil or will the compressor be in rough shape do to not being charge in a while?

Either way I really like this Esprit, I just want to know what kind of trouble I may be in for a recharge of the system.

As a side note, if anyone is interested in buying a Shelby Cobra Replica (West Coast Cobra) with a SVO460 and 5 speed let me know so I can buy myself an Esprit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You will definetely have to replace the drier in it as well as the very minumum. Most likely issue is the compressor. The compressor is a common gm part that I believe is around 300 bucks on rockauto. New not rebuilt.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
On any A/C system that has been 'dead" for a long time you have to figure it isn't going to be cheap to fix. If it was, it probably would have been done. Can it be fixed cheap, SURE IT CAN! I am sure you could find a shop that will shoot some refrigerant in to get you some cold air but how long will it last, and how much more damage are you going to do to it? Any decent shop will try to find and fix the leaks, replace the dryer, and probably recommend you replace the compressor. Depends on what they find. At the very least the system should be flushed, and refilled with oil after they fix the leaks. For all of the labor it takes to remove the compressor, it doesn't pay to put the old one back, a new one is only around $215 . A dryer is only around $25.The coils are the expensive parts if they have to be replaced on top of all the labor it will take to R & R them. Hoses aren't very expensive. If you are asking so you can make an offer on the car I would take at least $1500 off the asking price but that is just a wild guess. It could be a lot more. This should be part of your PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection). An expert putting his eyes on the car would give you a better idea what you are in for. Maybe important parts are missing! If the owner didn't fix the A/C now you have to wonder what else was neglected. Is the service up to date? Those belts alone can cost you over $3K if they have to be replaced. What are the date codes on the tires, they aren't any good after 7 years and that can cost you $1K. Didn't take much but now you could be spending over $5,500 before you could drive the car! How about a clutch? Just the parts for that are over $3K. Get a professional to inspect the car.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can see here:

And here:

At the very least, you should vacuum down the system and see if it hold vacuum. If it holds vacuum, it typically holds pressure (only in bizarre cases would it not). But I would say it would be very unlikely that you'd go tinkering on the car before you buy it, so you just need to consider that in your purchase price. It most likely needs some o-rings, a drier, and then vacuum down and recharge, but you need the equipment to be able to do that yourself.

Jake

·
Registered
132 Posts
The drier you can buy on amazon for 26 bucks ac delco 15-1946. And if i remember right those have the sight window. Just have to scrape some paint off

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the responses. I am not to worried about fixing the A/C based on the price of the Esprit I am looking at. I will looking over items/prices and so I can plan for what is needed.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A really nice, clean, low mileage V-8 is worth near $50K. The more it needs (or the higher the mileage) the less it is worth. In the scheme of things fixing the A/C is not going to cost you all that much compared to all of the service it needs if it was neglected. Good luck.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts