The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My Air con went off a few weeks ago, it only blown hot air from the vent. I did some search and it might be I out of the freon, so I refill R134a into the system and it working! the A/C came out really nice and cold on sitting still. However, when I started to drive and cruising I experience engine stall with 'click' from the A/C compressor every 3 second, came on, off... came on, off.... I can feel a slight drop on performance and it is very annoying :(

What might be the problem? Did the shop did a correct job on refilling freon? what should I check? Thank you so much in advance!

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Hi guys,

My Air con went off a few weeks ago, it only blown hot air from the vent. I did some search and it might be I out of the freon, so I refill R134a into the system and it working! the A/C came out really nice and cold on sitting still. However, when I started to drive and cruising I experience engine stall with 'click' from the A/C compressor every 3 second, came on, off... came on, off.... I can feel a slight drop on performance and it is very annoying :(

What might be the problem? Did the shop did a correct job on refilling freon? what should I check? Thank you so much in advance!
Does the engine actually cut out, or is it just a drop in power as the AC compressor kicks in and out? If the later, it could be that the Freon pressure level is outside the parameters and the Trinary switch is turning the compressor off, then on.
A trinary switch fitted into the top of the receiver-drier senses the pressure of refrigerant and allows system operation only within a pressure range of 2 to 32 bar (29 – 464 psi) in order to prevent system damage from too high
a pressure, or from compressor oil starvation damage caused by too low a pressure. A third switching point is used to engage the two condenser fans at half speed at pressures over 17.5 bar (see also sub-section KH.5).
An additional safeguard is provided in the form of a high pressure relief valve in the condenser inlet pipe, which opens at 38 - 41 bar.

Michael

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the engine actually cut out, or is it just a drop in power as the AC compressor kicks in and out? If the later, it could be that the Freon pressure level is outside the parameters and the Trinary switch is turning the compressor off, then on.
A trinary switch fitted into the top of the receiver-drier senses the pressure of refrigerant and allows system operation only within a pressure range of 2 to 32 bar (29 – 464 psi) in order to prevent system damage from too high
a pressure, or from compressor oil starvation damage caused by too low a pressure. A third switching point is used to engage the two condenser fans at half speed at pressures over 17.5 bar (see also sub-section KH.5).
An additional safeguard is provided in the form of a high pressure relief valve in the condenser inlet pipe, which opens at 38 - 41 bar.

Michael
SirLotus!!! Thank you so muchhh i got my a/c fix because of your advice. Many thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts