The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The high pressure relief valve in the air conditioning system of my 1988 Esprit Turbo "popped" after the car sat idling for a long time in high heat with high humidity dumping some of its coolant (RS-24) into atmosphere. I understand that after "popping" the valve is "weakened" -- it will now "pop" at a lower pressure. To raise the pressure release point back to "normal" I understand that the valve needs to be "tightened". How does one go about tightening the high pressure relief valve? Alternatively, where might I find a replacement valve?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The valves are usually replaced once popped. The usual venders can source them or you can try Classic Air in FL. A bigger problem than the valve is figuring out why it popped. It shouldn't unless other things went wrong. Among the possibilities are;
The system was overfilled with too much refrigerant
Not enough airflow over the condenser or evaporator coils
The high pressure switch is not connected or malfunctioned
The system is contaminated and the expansion valve froze
I do not think you can get by just throwing another high pressure safety valve on, dumping in some refrigerant and calling it a day. You need to find the root cause of the problem and if you can't you should take it to an A/C shop that can.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 2 of 2 Posts