The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas. I searched for previous threads that would explain my problem, but was not succesful in finding one.

My compressor works fine, but there is no cold air. It initially would stop working for periods and correct itself after the car sat for a little while. I've noticed "screeching" sound seconds before I lose cold air. Today it did not recover.
The 3rd blower setting has not worked for a while. Screeching sounds comes from the passenger front.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Dying/dead blower motor would make that sound. Hasn't happened in my Lotus, but has happened in my DeLorean.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Go back in time and fix the issue before it happens?

Im having A/C Issues as well, I think its the thermostat as I have an 05. Dosent sound related to yours.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
are you saying you can turn on the A/C and see the compressor actually turn?

And, when cold air stops, is compressor still turning?

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I've had similar problems with no AC at times during high ambient temperatures. I had to drive through the California central valley with a bag of ice in front of the seat to prevent a heat stroke. Harry at A1 told me a new later version of the AC sensor will fix this problem – something to do with a faulty cold temperature sensor problem on the old design.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
So, you do know that the compressor will not engage if refrigerant is too low, right?

Did the shop charge the system and find that the compressor wouldn't engage?

Did the shop check the fuse??

·
Registered
169 Posts
Screeching sound, sometimes engaging and not.. I would say its the magnetic clutch of your compressor.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
You mean the freon? I hope you are having a professional do it and not using like auto zone cans or something. Ac system is nothing to mess with if you are unsure of what you are doing.

I think I saw them behind the passenger side vent behind the passengers door. So this means you will have to remove the passenger rear wheel well liner to get to them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
AC

Thanks others have said that the freeon disapates over the years in Lotus systems. One guy said that after 3 years his AC was down to 40%. Some charge every year. I,m blowen hot air, i have almost 6 years on my Lotus

1 - 17 of 17 Posts